Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-2 Solihull Moors

17 February 2024

Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-2 Solihull Moors

17 February 2024

Dale suffered a 2-1 defeat at home to Solihull Moors on Saturday.

The hosts took an early lead and although Cian Hayes’ strike sent Dale into half-time level, the visitors netted shortly after the break with what would prove to be the winner.

Jimmy McNulty made two changes to his starting line-up from last Saturday’s game against Altrincham. Jesurun Uchegbulam and Ian Henderson returned in place of Tyrese Sinclair and D’Mani Mellor. Devante Rodney made the matchday squad for the first time since December, having been out through injury.

Tiernan Brooks had to make a good stop low to his right inside the opening two minutes, beating away Joe Sbarra’s effort, before Kairo Mitchell lifted a first time shot over after being found by Ryan East’s low corner.

However, the visitors took the lead in the ninth minute, when Callum Maycock slotted home from close range after a neat move.

Dale responded well though and levelled less than ten minutes later. A good passing move led to East finding Hayes, who cut inside and sent a dipping effort into the far corner from 20-yards.

A second almost instantly followed, when Uchegbulam’s cross ricocheted into the path of Henderson, who saw a close-range effort deflected into the side netting.

Uchegbulam then crossed for Cameron John who hit a first-time volley wide of the near post, before Mitchell saw a looping header from East’s deep free-kick held.

Dale were on top for most of the first-half but the visitors came on strong before the break, with Brooks making a number of good stops to keep McNulty’s men level.

He made saves from both Tyrese Shade and Tahvon Campbell, whilst George Nevett put in a great header to divert a shot off target.

After the break, Mitchell and Hayes both had shots blocked, before Solihull regained the lead when Campbell used his body to turn home a shot inside the six-yard box.

East had a driven shot well turned behind by Solihull goalkeeper Nick Hayes, shortly before Henderson sent a looping header off target.

The fluidity of the game was hampered by the rain, which made the playing surface almost unplayable at times, meaning neither side could maintain any rhythm.

Rodney made his comeback from the bench and a powerful sprint down the pitch in added time saw him find fellow substitute Sinclair, but he fired a left foot shot over the bar with what would be the final action of the game.

Dale XI | Brooks, Gordon, Ebanks-Landell ©, Nevett, John (74’ Keohane), Gilmour, East, Uchegbulam (74’ Sinclair), Hayes, Mitchell, Henderson (63’ Rodney).

Unused subs | Clayton, Mellor.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match