The present Rochdale AFC was formed following a public meeting convened by Mr. Harvey Rigg and chaired by Mr Herbert Hopkinson, held in the Central Schools Council, Fleece Street on May 14th, 1907.
"At a meeting convened by Mr. Harvey Rigg in Central Council Schools, Fleece Street, Rochdale, last evening, with Mr. H. Hopkinson in the chair, it was decided to form a club to be called The Rochdale Association Football Club."– From the Rochdale Observer, May 15th 1907."
The club's first game, on September 3rd 1907, was a friendly against Second Division Oldham Athletic who, not surprisingly won 4-1.
The Dale's first league game, in the Manchester League, was played at Spotland (then known as St. Clement's Playing Fields), on September 7th 1907, against Tongue. The game attracted 2,000 spectators and ended in a 2-2 draw.
Rochdale ended the 1907/08 season in tenth place, having played 30, won 10, drawn 8 and lost 12 for a total of 28 points. 49 goals were scored and 63 conceded.