Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Hartlepool United 2-3 Dale

28 October 2023

Match Reports

Report | Hartlepool United 2-3 Dale

28 October 2023

Dale returned to winning ways with a 3-2 win at Hartlepool United on Saturday.

An early goal from Cian Hayes put Dale ahead, before Jimmy Keohane and Ryan East made it 3-0, although the hosts did pull one back to make it 3-1 at the break.

After a more even second period, Hartlepool scored late on to make it a nervy final ten minutes, but Dale held on for all three points.

Jimmy McNulty stuck with the same starting eleven from Tuesday night’s game at home to Gateshead, with Devante Rodney coming back on to the bench in place of Tommy McDermott.

Dale got off to the perfect start when Hayes scored his first goal for the club inside three minutes.

Louie Moulden picked him out with a superb long pass over the top of the defence and the Fleetwood Town loanee raced on to it, got there ahead of goalkeeper Joel Dixon, before finishing first time with his right foot.

The visitors were dominating possession, with Hayes going close again, firing wide of the far post on the turn, and East seeing a shot blocked.

Hartlepool did force Moulden into a succession of saves during a five-minute period in which they created some chances, but he held efforts from Matt Dolan and Joe Mattock, whilst superbly clawing away Tom Crawford’s curling shot which was heading towards the top corner.

The lead was doubled in the 33rd minute when Keohane netted his fourth of the campaign, latching on to Kairo Mitchell’s flick on and finding the bottom corner.

As the fourth official showed six minutes of stoppage time to be added on, Dale made it three.

Good build-up again saw East find space in the centre of the pitch. He drove forward into space before shooting from 25-yards and nestling the ball in the far bottom corner.

However, on the stroke of half-time, the hosts pulled one back through Nicky Featherstone, meaning they went into the break just two behind at 3-1.

The second period was a more even contest as Dale fought to get control, with Ethan Ebanks-Landell and Mitchell firing off target, whilst East had a volley held.

Hayes also dragged an effort wide after a great run before Mani Dieseruvwe halved the deficit inside the final ten minutes.

The hosts piled the pressure on and Dieseruvwe should have scored, missing his connection with the ball inside the six-yard box when the goal was open, but Dale held on in the seven minutes of time that was added for all three points.

Dale XI | Moulden, Oduroh, Ebanks-Landell, Nevett, Keohane, East (90’ Rodney), Gilmour, Hayes (86’ Taylor), Uchegbulam (57’ Clayton), Henderson, Mitchell.

Unused subs | B Kelly, Afuye.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match