Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Scunthorpe United 1-2 Rochdale

19 February 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Scunthorpe United 1-2 Rochdale

19 February 2022

Rochdale secured an important three points on the road on Saturday, from a 2-1 win over Scunthorpe United at the Sands Venue Stadium.

Max Taylor’s late volley won it for Dale, after the side came from behind to record the victory. 

In a game of two halves, the Iron took the lead through Manny Onariase after just 13 minutes. They took their lead into the break, but Liam Kelly struck six minutes into the second half to draw Dale level. Taylor netted six minutes from time complete the comeback. 

There were three changes to the side that lined up against Harrogate Town last weekend - Jay Lynch, Max Taylor and Luke Charman came in for Joel Coleman, Alex Newby and Conor Grant 

The home side dominated the first half and had a couple of efforts on goal before taking the lead. 

Early on, Iron Captain Liam Feeney struck a first-time effort wide of the target, while Mason O’Malley also hit a shot from distance past the post. 

They broke the deadlock in the 13th minute. Jay Lynch had initially got down to claw away a Rekeil Pyke header which looked destined for the bottom corner, after the former Dale loanee got on the end of a free-kick into the box. A scramble ensued inside the six-yard box and Onariase finished from close range. 

Rochdale began to grow into the game as it progressed, and they got in on goal a couple of times around the half hour. Stephen Dooley got into the area and to the byline, only to see his cross gathered by Rory Watson, before Tahvon Campbell had Dale’s best opportunity of the half. He took the ball down on his chest,, turned and curled an effort narrowly wide of the post from just outside the area. 

Shortly before the break, Feeney curled an effort from 20-yards at goal, but Lynch was equal to it, patting it down and collecting comfortably. 

It was a game of two halves and Rochdale dominated the second period. They got off to a brilliant start, equalising just six minutes after the restart. From Captain Eoghan O’Connell’s clip forward, Kelly drove through midfield and saw his strike loop up and over Watson. 

Moments later, Newby saw off his markers in the middle of the pitch before driving at goal and hitting an effort narrowly wide of the target. 

Ryan Delaney, former Dale defender, then had to clear a Max Clark header off the line soon after the hour. Corey O’Keeffe delivered across goal to the back post for his fellow full-back, who nodded back into the mix, causing problems fo the Iron. Delaney, under his own cross bar, managed to clear the ball up and over. 

O’Connell then had a strike from 25-yards held by Watson. 

Rochdale’s second change of the game followed in the 70th minutes, as Stephen Dooley made way for Grant. 

A short while later, James Ball found Clark on the left and he had a shot blocked behind for a corner. The resulting corner was swung towards the back post and bounced agonisingly wide after dropping in the six-yard box.

Dale turned the game on its head with 84 minutes on the clock, with Taylor winning it for Robbie Stockdale’s side late on. From Clark’s cross, Taylor initially had a shot saved, but the ball came back out to him and he powered his shot beyond Watson on the volley.

Rochdale’s final substitution of the game came two minutes from time, with George Broadbent coming on for Ball, and Dale saw the match out to claim three points on the road. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match