Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Charlton Athletic 4-4 Rochdale

12 January 2021

Rochdale secured a point on the road in London on Tuesday night, from a thrilling 4-4 draw with Charlton Athletic.

Kwadwo Baah netted a brace, while Matt Lund and Stephen Humphrys also got their name on the scoresheet, as the spoils were shared at the Valley. 

Dale lead against the Addicks for much of the game, but two goals in quick succession midway inside the second half ensured it would be a point a piece. 

There were three changes to the side that lined up against Crewe Alexandra at the weekend. Jim McNulty replaced the injured Eoghan O’Connell, while Ryan McLaughlin and Baah came in for Matty Done and Alex Newby.

It was goals galore during a pulsating first half that resulted in Rochdale taking a 4-2 lead into the interval, as they took the game to the hosts. 

Dale got off to a perfect start, when Lund broke the deadlock after just 12 minutes, striking home to net his 10th of the season. Baah had shown quick feet down the left before being fouled and Jimmy Keohane picked up the loose ball before laying it off to Lund on the edge of the area, who struck beyond Ben Amos.

Brian Barry-Murphy’s side doubled their advantage nine minutes later through a wonderful strike from Baah. The young forward fired in and off the underside of the bar from the edge of the 18-yard box.

The Addicks responded immediately, though, and halved the deficit a minute later. Aneke pounced on a Dale error and finished in at the near post.

But on the half hour, Dale’s two goal lead was restored, as Baah scored his second of the evening. He showed incredible confidence and strength to drive at goal from the midway inside is own half before skipping into the area and firing under the ‘keeper and into the bottom corner. 

It was end-to-end and seven minutes later Charlton were right back in it again. Forster-Caskey intercepted a clearance and curled an effort into the far corner from outside the area.

Not content with being pegged back for a second time, Dale once again put distance between themselves and their hosts soon after. After Lund had been fouled, Humphrys smashed the resulting free-kick into the back of the net from 35-yards. 

Before the half was out, Charlton squandered two golden opportunities. Aneke headed inches over, while Jonathan Williams fired over at the back post. 


After the break, Ollie Rathbone tried his luck from distance and saw an effort bounce narrowly wide during the opening exchanges, before Liam Miller had a shot half by Bazunu. 

But the hosts ultimately went on to net two in two minutes to draw themselves level.

Aneke headed home from close range, meeting Gunter’s ball in from the right, while Schwartz, after capitalising on a loose ball, curled home from the edge of the area, to make it 4-4.

Between the goals, Rochdale made their first substitution of the match, with Stephen Dooley replacing Baah.

Still the Addicks threatened, as Forster-Caskey struck wide from a free-kick and Bazunu held a low Aneke shot. 

Rochdale had opportunities of their own, though, and had chances to win at the end, forcing Amos into two fine saves late on.

He firstly tipped a Rathbone effort round the upright, before getting fingers on a Lund header, which could have crept in under the crossbar, over.

Like Dale, Charlton also a great chance to seal three points, and there was a huge save Bazunu, who pulled off a hugely important save with four minutes to go, as he tipped a goal bound striker from Aneke wide.

The Addicks played the remainder of the half with 10 men after Jason Pearce was sent off with a couple of minutes remaining. He received a second yellow card for going in late on Bazunu.

In stoppage time, Morley and Dooley both had shots held by Amos, while Morley spotted the goalkeeper off his line from range but could only send his effort over, as Rochdale continued in search of a winner right until the end. 



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match