Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-2 Bristol Rovers

2 November 2019

Dale were beaten 2-1 at home by Bristol Rovers despite a second-half performance which deserved more.

Two goals in three first-half minutes put the visitors ahead, thanks to Victor Adeboyejo’s opener and an own goal from Eoghan O’Connell.

Callum Camps pulled a goal back before the interval, and Dale were denied on several occasions in the second half by Rovers stopper Anssi Jaakkola, as they couldn’t grab the equaliser.

Brian Barry-Murphy made two changes from the side that started against Oxford United last weekend, with Ian Henderson and Luke Matheson replacing Jimmy Keohane and the suspended Aaron Wilbraham.

Dale were behind after eight minutes when a corner to the back post was headed into a central area by Tony Craig, allowing Adeboyejo to hook home from the edge of the six-yard box.

Rovers doubled their lead three minutes later, when Kelly’s cross was inadvertently diverted in off the far post by O’Connell.

Henderson almost responded immediately for Dale, but saw a curling left-footed effort superbly tipped around the post by visiting stopper Jaakkola.

From the resulting corner, Matty Done fired an effort over the crossbar, before Rhys Norrington-Davies fired well wide from another set-piece which was partially cleared.

Ollie Clarke saw an effort from distance deflected wide for Rovers, before Camps halved the deficit.

Matheson’s cross into the area was laid off by Ollie Rathbone into the path of Camps, who smashed home from ten yards.

After the break, MJ Williams saw a fierce shot from 20-yards well blocked, shortly before he was replaced by Rekeil Pyke.

The on-loan Huddersfield Town man almost made an instant impact, turning on the edge of the area and firing a shot which was well held by the goalkeeper.

Dale thought they had reasonable shouts for a penalty when Paul McShane was hauled to the ground inside the area whilst trying to reach a corner, but the referee waved away the protests.

Rathbone fired a powerful, swirling shot on target which was fisted behind by the goalkeeper, before his shot from the corner was blocked by a Bristol defender, with some shouts that it was blocked by an arm.

Barry-Murphy’s side continued to pile on the pressure, and Jaakkola pulled off a fine save when Matheson’s low drive was turned goalwards by Henderson, with the stopper somehow getting down to his left to keep it out.

He then denied Henderson again moments later, beating away the skipper’s curling effort.

Substitute Fabio Tavares saw an overhead kick land on the roof of the net, whilst McShane had a header cleared off the line in added time.

Dale pushed for an equaliser but couldn’t find one, as Henderson curled an effort wide with what would be the last kick of the game.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match