Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Boston United 1-2 Dale - Emirates FA Cup Second Round Replay

16 December 2019

Match Reports

Report | Boston United 1-2 Dale - Emirates FA Cup Second Round Replay

16 December 2019

Dale progressed into the Emirates FA Cup third round thanks to a 2-1 win at Boston United in a second-round replay, setting up a home tie against Premier League giants Newcastle United at the Crown Oil Arena.

An early own-goal, followed by an Aaron Morley penalty was enough to see Dale advance into the next round, despite Jordan Thewlis’ equaliser just after the break.

Boston started positively and went close when Jay Rollins cut in from the left-hand side before hitting the side netting.

Dale’s first attack resulted in a goal and following some good play from Henderson down left flank, his cross wasn’t dealt with by Crook who could only watch the ball land into the empty net.

The National League North side had a chance when Jonathan Wafula found space in the Dale area, before scuffing a shot wide from 10-yards.                                     

Martyn Woolford was the next to try to equalise for the home side, but his ambitious volley went well wide.

Dale nearly made it two when Eoghan O’Connell saw the ball fall to him in the Boston box, but his effort was scrambled away to safety.

Dominic Knowles showed quick feet inside the area before firing a snapshot at Robert Sánchez, who was on hand to tip the ball behind the post.

Rekeil Pyke was introduced following an injury to Henderson, and he nearly doubled Dale’s lead when his low shot cannoned back off the post.

Into the second-half, Woolford went close once more, this time firing wide from 20-yards.

The hosts then hit the woodwork themselves, when Wafula got on the end of Knowles’ flick before curling an effort off the crossbar.

Moments later, Boston equalised when Dale failed to deal with the loose ball following Wafula’s shot, the ball falling to Thewlis who headed home from close range.

Thewlis went close again, cutting in from the right but his low show was comfortable for Sánchez.

The second half also saw the return of Stephen Dooley from the bench, who was in the thick of it from the off – his ball found Matty Done, who couldn’t quite poke the ball past Crook.

Some good play from Dooley once more saw him hacked down by a Boston defender, leaving the referee with no choice but to point to the spot.

Aaron Morley stepped up and sent the ‘keeper the wrong way, to book Dale’s place in the third round.

Dale will now host Steve Bruce’s Newcastle United at the Crown Oil Arena, with the tie being played on Saturday the 4th of January (12:31pm kick-off).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match