Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 0-0 Luton Town

3 November 2018

Dale were held to a goalless draw at home to Luton Town in a game dominated by Keith Hill’s men.

Matty Done saw two efforts superbly saved on the line in the first-half, before Zach Clough struck the underside of the crossbar late on, as Dale had to settle for just a point at the Crown Oil Arena, despite the visitors being reduced to ten men with 17 minutes left to play.

Keith Hill made one change to the side that started in last weekend’s win at home to Charlton Athletic, as Done came in for Ollie Rathbone.

The first chance of the game fell to Luton’s Danny Hylton, when he turned a low ball from the right wide of the near post, but Dale were dominant for the following half an hour.

Callum Camps dragged a shot from distance wide, before Ian Henderson had a scuffed effort comfortably held.

Done and Sam Hart exchanged a neat one-two, allowing the former to get a shot away which flew beyond the far post, whilst Henderson saw another effort saved after being found by Joe Rafferty.

Dale had a great chance to take the lead through Bradden Inman on the counter, when Camps through ball to Done was then squared to Inman, who had a shot well saved, before Jordan Williams headed the rebound wide.

The best chance of the opening period came midway through the half when Rafferty’s cross ricocheted off Williams and into the path of Inman, whose weak effort fell to Done at the back post.

His first effort was superbly saved on the line by Luton goalkeeper James Shea, before his follow up was also well saved.

Williams turned a Rafferty cross over the bar, before the visitors created a few half chances of their own before the break.

Hylton turned Elliot Lee’s low ball from the left wide and defender Sonny Bradley sent a header wide from a corner, before nodding another set-piece straight at Brendan Moore who held well.

The final chance of the period fell Dale’s way, with Inman seeing a shot well beaten away and Done’s rebound being cleared behind.

Stephen Dooley and Done both fired off target at the beginning of the second-half, as Calvin Andrew replaced Williams shortly before the hour mark.

Henderson was a trickling effort comfortably held and James Collins fired a low effort narrowly wide for the visitors, shortly before they were reduced to ten men, when Hylton was given a straight red for a late and high challenge on Henderson.

Clough replaced Inman and he was inches away from breaking the deadlock, when his curling effort came off the underside of the crossbar, with Andrew’s effort being deflected behind.

Andrew volleyed Hart’s cross wide, Camps fired over and Clough saw a shot deflected over as Dale kept the pressure on until the final seconds in search of a winner, which they were ultimately denied.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match