Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 2-1 Gateshead

10 November 2018

Match Reports

Report | Dale 2-1 Gateshead

10 November 2018

Ian Henderson’s 100th Rochdale goal secured a passage through to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 2-1 win over Gateshead.

An own goal from Jon Mellish put Dale in front after 21 minutes, before Henderson converted Inman’s low ball across the six-yard box for his milestone goal two minutes later.

The non-league side fought valiantly and pulled a goal back shortly after the break through Mellish, but Dale were able to see the game out and advance to the next round.

Keith Hill named the same starting eleven as last weekend’s Sky Bet League One draw at home to Luton Town, with Dan Adshead, called up on Friday to the England Under-18 squad for their four nations tournament this month, on the bench.

It was a quiet start to the game in terms of goalscoring opportunities, with the visitors creating the first shot on target through captain Scott Barrow, before Luke Armstrong fired off target.

However, with Dale’s first sight of goal, the deadlock was broken, when Henderson did well to pull the ball back to Williams, who saw his effort across the face of goal come off a Gateshead defender and into the back of the net.

The lead doubled just two minutes later when Henderson converted for his 100th for the club, finishing off a sweeping move forward, side-footing home Bradden Inman’s low ball across the six-yard box.

The Crown Oil Arena rose to applaud the club’s captain and third highest goalscorer in history, before shaking the hand of his manager Keith Hill.

The visitors weren’t deterred by Dale’s quickfire double, as Greg Olley fired an effort off target and saw two shots held by goalkeeper Brendan Moore.

Callum Camps saw an effort from outside the area held, whilst Scott Boden cushioned an effort over after what looked to be a push on Harrison McGahey just before half-time.

The visitors halved the deficit shortly after the restart when Mellish’s shot looped into the back of the net after Moore had got a hand to it.

Williams sent a curling shot over shortly before Matty Done was replaced by Calvin Andrew.

Olley sent a lobbed effort over the crossbar after being played in behind the Dale defence, whilst substitute Luke Molyneux fired a volley well wide.

Williams was replaced by Perkins with 15 minutes remaining to help Dale try and see the game out, but the visitors came inches away from equalising with two minutes remaining when substitute Steve Rigg curled an effort just wide of the far post.

It was the closest either side came to another goal, as Dale progressed to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup on a day that will be remember for Henderson’s 100th Rochdale goal.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match