Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-2 Plymouth Argyle

15 December 2018

Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-2 Plymouth Argyle

15 December 2018

Dale were beaten 2-1 by Plymouth Argyle at the Crown Oil Arena in Sky Bet League One.

After a goalless first 72 minutes, the visitors took the lead through Joel Grant, only for Bradden Inman to level just three minutes later.

However, the deciding goal came in unfortunate circumstances, as David Perkins’ ball back to Josh Lillis ended up in the back of his net.

Keith Hill made three changes to his starting eleven from Dale’s last league outing at AFC Wimbledon, with Callum Camps, Ollie Rathbone and Bradden Inman coming into the side.

The visitors started brightly, with the Dale defence producing a good block to deny Graham Carey before Gary Sawyer’s effort from a corner rolled inches past the post.

David Fox fired into the side netting from a promising position, before Rathbone saw two efforts turned wide of the post.

Ian Henderson fired a first-time effort into the arms of Plymouth goalkeeper Matt Macey, before Done sent a bouncing effort wide of the far post.

As half-time approached, Carey shot wide and Antoni Sarcevic had an effort deflected over the crossbar by MJ Williams.

Andrew and Henderson had the first two efforts of a quiet opening to the second-half, both firing over from distance, before the two combined as Andrew’s header from Henderson’s cross was comfortably held.

The visitors took the lead in the 73rd minute when Grant turned home Sarcevic’s low ball home from close range, but Dale were soon back on level terms.

Henderson flicked a lovely ball round a defender for Inman, who finished first time from inside the area.

However, the visitors restored their lead in bizarre circumstances two minutes later, when Perkins’ ball back to Lillis either took a bobble or was miskicked, ending up in the back of the Dale net.

From then on it was all Dale as they went in search of an equaliser, Camps firing over and efforts from Inman and Andrew comfortably held by Matt Macey.

Substitute Matty Gillam had an effort deflected into Macey’s arms, whilst Delaney’s stooping header flew narrowly wide.

Lillis made a fine save to deny Carey in added time, and despite late pressure from Dale, they couldn’t find an equaliser.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match