Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Charlton Athetic 2-1 Rochdale: Match Report

21 November 2017

Match Reports

Charlton Athetic 2-1 Rochdale: Match Report

21 November 2017

Despite a spirited, committed and fighting performance against Charlton Athletic, Rochdale left The Valley empty handed.

Dale had taken an early lead through Matty Gillam, but a goal either side of the break by Jake Forster-Caskey sealed the points for the home side.

There were three changes to the Rochdale starting eleven that lost to Oldham Athletic at the weekend, as Donveron Daniels came in for Joe Rafferty, Kgosi Ntlhe was replaced by Joe Bunney and Matty Gillam started ahead of Bradden Inman.

It was Gillam’s first league start for the club since graduating from the Dale Academy this summer, and it proved to be a memorable occasion for the young forward, as he put Keith Hill’s side 1-0 up on 13 minutes.

After Harrison McGahey sent Bunney on his way up the left with a diagonal pass, the full-back drove forward and delivered a low ball into the area, which was latched onto by Gillam, and he finished across goal and into the bottom corner of the net.

Rochdale were in control, as they took the game to the opposition with a first half performance full of energy, fight and commitment, and they could have been two goals to the good eight minutes later, but the woodwork stood in their way. Matty Done’s shot on the turn came crashing off the inside of the upright, bounced across the face of goal and behind for a goal kick.

Shortly before the half hour, an unmarked Andrew headed up and over the bar, as Dale carved out another opportunity.

The Addicks were a threat on the counter attack and from quickly taken free-kicks, and it was from a set-piece that should never have been awarded, that the hosts levelled the scoring.

Ollie Rathbone controversially went in the book for an alleged foul, much to the bewilderment of the Dale players, and as Jay Dasilva quickly took the free-kick, Forster-Caskey stole in and latched onto the end of a fortunate ricochet and poked the ball beyond Lillis from close range.

Before the half was out, Lillis was forced into a save to keep out Marshall, who fired a snap shot at goal from the edge of the area.


Andrew had the first opportunity of the half, as he met Henderson’s ball to the back post, but he was kept out by Amos, who rose to collect comfortably.

The home side ramped up the pressure, and as they had a spell on top, they were kept out by the woodwork, with Ahmed Kashi’s effort coming crashing off the foot of the post.

Hill made his first change of the game soon after, as goal scorer Gillam was replaced by Steven Davies.

Immediately, a Callum Camps free-kick found Daniels, who flicked the ball on for Henderson and he saw an effort tipped over the bar by the Charlton goalkeeper.

On the hour, the Addicks took the lead.

After Lillis spilled a powerful effort from Marshall, Forster-Caskey got on the end of the loose ball, and finished over the grounded goalkeeper.

Two substitutions followed in quick succession, as Andy Cannon firstly replaced Camps, and Bradden Inman came on for Done.

The game was end to end, and as the hosts hit Dale on the break in the 76th minute, Lillis was forced to parry away a shot from Marshall.

They then had two good chances in the space of a minute, as Magennis curled an effort round the upright, and Lillis then kept out a free header from Ahearne-Grant.

Rochdale were determined to find an equaliser and Inman came closest, but Amos dived across his goal to claw away the effort.  The on loan forward then sent a looping header at goal, but the goalkeeper gathered, in the last chance of the game.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match