Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Youth Team Report: Dale 4-1 Morecambe

17 December 2017

Match Reports

Youth Team Report: Dale 4-1 Morecambe

17 December 2017

The Youth Team ran out 4-1 winners over Morecambe on Saturday, in the EFL Youth Alliance League.

James Neild and an Aaron Morley penalty put Dale 2-0 up inside the opening 20 minutes, only for the visitors to pull one back before half-time.

However, a Fabio Tavares goal and another Morley penalty ensured Dale were comfortable and deserved winners.

Neild scored for the fourth consecutive game, breaking the deadlock after just nine minutes.

Morley’s corner went over the head of Joe Renner, coming off the thigh of Neild and into the bottom corner.

Dan Adshead had a great chance to double the lead just three minutes later when he broke upfield superbly and exchanged passes with Tavares. However, his effort was well saved by the legs of the goalkeeper from close range.

Dale did make it 2-0 in the 19th minute, from the penalty spot. Luke Matheson’s shot was parried by the Morecambe stopper, before being controlled by a defender’s arm.

Morley stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way, finding the bottom corner.

Dale seemed to be in control, but only went into the half-time break a goal to the good, when the visitors halved the deficit a minute before the interval.

Brad Wade made a strong stop to his left from an effort on the angle, but the rebound was put in at the back post by the Morecambe forward.

The visitors were inches away from equalling matters on the hour mark, when a surge forward from the right-back allowed him to shoot from distance, with the effort rattling the crossbar.

That let-off spurred Dale on, and they dominated from there on in.

Morley found substitute Lewis Bradley with a fine through ball, but he dragged his shot wide of the far post.

Another fine move from Dale saw Tavares from Neil Kuemo, but he could only fire at the legs of the goalkeeper.

Dale wouldn’t be kept out for much longer though, and Tavares restored the two-goal cushion with under 20 minutes remaining.

Adshead found the forward with a perfectly weighted pass, allowing Tavares to round the advancing goalkeeper and place the ball into the empty net.

Tavares then produced a fine stop from the goalkeeper after volleying Bradley’s cross goalwards, but Dale would make it 4-1 before the 90 minutes was over.

Matheson showed great pace to reach a loose ball inside the area, and was brought down by a Morecambe defender.

Morley stepped up again, and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way again, placing the ball in the same side to round off the scoring.

Tavares was inches away from adding a fifth in stoppage time, when Bradley’s ball across goal was just too far ahead of him.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match