Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rochdale 1-0 Oldham Athletic: Report

29 October 2016

Club News

Rochdale 1-0 Oldham Athletic: Report

29 October 2016

Matthew Lund’s first half goal sealed a 1-0 win over Oldham Athletic at the Crown Oil Arena.

He swept home Calvin Andrew’s square ball in the 40th minute for the only goal of the game.

Both sides had chances in a second half which was evenly contested right until the end, but Dale held on for a third derby win in the last month.

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Steven Davies replaced Oliver Rathbone and Ian Henderson, as Keith Hill made two changes to the side beaten at Coventry City the previous weekend.

The first half was a slow burner as both sides cancelled each other out in the opening stages. Mendez-Laing showed the panic his pace can cause with a blistering run down the left, before Joe Bunney’s shot from 30 yards was deflected into Connor Ripley’s arms.

Bunney came inches away from opening the scoring five minutes later, when his whipped free-kick was tipped onto the crossbar superbly by Ripley. The ball was cleared only partially to Callum Camps, whose shot flew well over.

Bunney was involved again after the half hour mark as he forced Ripley into action again. His free-kick came straight back to him, and after breaking down the right side of the area his cross needed to be turned over for a corner kick.

The visitors first effort came from Lee Erwin, whose right foot shot was deflected and dipped into the grasp of Josh Lillis who held well in slippery conditions.

Brave Oldham defending saw Lund have a close range shot superbly blocked after a neat chest down from Davies, but moments later they were helpless as Lund put Dale ahead.

Andy Cannon poked a ball through to Andrew on the left of the area. His square ball was met by Lund, whose sweeping left foot finish found the back of the net in front of watching Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill.

Lund was involved again straight after the restart when he picked out Davies with an excellent cross, but Oldham defended the danger well.

Lillis had to be alert as the half came to a close, firstly when Freddie Ladapo broke behind the Dale defence and shot to the near post, with Lillis palming out for a corner. Peter Clarke rose highest twice from set pieces, but both of his headers were straight at Lillis.

The visitors began the second half strongly and half-time substitute Billy McKay headed a Paul Green cross just over the crossbar from close range.

Lee Erwin sent a curling effort just wide from distance, whilst Mendez-Laing again caused problems with his pace before sending a weak effort at Ripley.

Davies’ effort from outside the area was deflected just wide for a corner, from which Andrew sent a header wide.

Mendez-Laing and Cannon were replaced by Joe Thompson and Rathbone as Keith Hill made two quick substitutions with 20 minutes remaining.

Erwin came inches away from equalising for the visitors with a ferocious volley from distance, which flew just wide of Lillis’ left post.

Camps then fired a stunning volley of his own on target after a corner was only partially cleared. The effort needed to be tipped over by Ripley to prevent it dipping under the crossbar.

Thompson came agonisingly close to making the points safe when he played through on goal by fellow substitute Rathbone. As he was about to pull the trigger he was tackled superbly by Clarke, and the ball rolled just wide.

Erwin’s turn and shot with five minutes remaining was the visitors last meaningful effort, which Lillis picked up comfortably.

Sanmi Odelusi replaced Davies in the dying minutes, as Dale had to see out four minutes of added time.

Keith Hill’s men saw it out comfortably to seal all three points, and move back in to the top six.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match