Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Maidstone United 1-1 Rochdale: Report

6 November 2016

Club News

Maidstone United 1-1 Rochdale: Report

6 November 2016

More to follow...

Callum Camps’ free-kick deep in stoppage time earned Rochdale an FA Cup first round replay against Maidstone United.

It looked like Dale were heading for an early exit from the competition, until Camps scored with the final kick of the game. 

There were two changes to the side that lined up Oldham Athletic in last weekend’s derby. Harrison McGahey started in place of the ineligible Keith Keane, while Ollie Rathbone replaced Calvin Andrew.

In a half of few chances, the home side took a 1-0 lead into the interval after opening the scoring from the spot in the 21st minute. After Jamar Loza was brought down inside the area, Taylor stepped up to take the resulting penalty and struck powerfully into the bottom corner of the net. 

Earlier in the game, Dale had their own appeals for a penalty after Andy Cannon was upended following a tangle of legs just five minutes into the match, but the referee was quick to wave play on. 

Rochdale had the ball in the back of the net shortly after the half hour through Steven Davies, but it wouldn’t count after an offside flag was raised against Joe Rafferty who interfered with play.

Josh Lillis kept out Loza soon after, as he got down low at his post. 

Rochdale finished the half strongly but were left frustrated as the National League side defended resolutely. 


Less than 30 seconds into the half Davies had an effort saved by Lee Worgan before a late offside flag went up. 

Two minutes later and Rathbone, who got on the end of a flick on from Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, was kept out by the legs of the goalkeeper.  

The home side’s Kevin Lokko headed down and wide of the upright before they saw a chance squandered when Liam Enver-Marum hit well wide of the target after getting in goal. 

Shortly after the hour mark, Dale had their best opportunity of the game so far when Cannon delivered from the right for Davies, whose header dropped just over the bar. 

A doubled substitution followed and Rathbone and Matty Lund were replaced by Donal McDermott and Jim McNulty. 

Alex Flisher flashed an effort over the bar after working hard to get a sight on goal, but it was Rochdale who came close on a couple of occasions. 

Bunney struck into the side netting after being played in by Mendez-Laing and they came close to getting the ball over the line as a scrambled ensued soon after, but the Stones eventually cleared the danger. 

The home side then rattled an effort over the bar from 20-yards after hitting Dale on the counter-attack. In stoppage time, Rochdale were awarded a free-kick in a very dangerous position, but Davies could only strike into the wall.

It looked like Dale were headed for a first round exit until Dale were awarded another set-piece in a similar position. With the last kick of the game, Callum Camps fired low into the bottom corner of the net to 
clinch a replay at the Crown Oil Arena. 


Dale are ball number 19 in Monday night's round two draw.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match