Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rochdale 2-1 Yeovil Town: Report

28 March 2015

Rochdale returned to winning ways as they saw recorded a 2-1 win over Yeovil Town at Spotland. A result which saw them climb into the play-off places.

Following a first half which was made difficult due to torrential rain, a break in the weather made for better conditions in the second half, with all three goals coming in during a five minute period after the interval. Rhys Bennett and Jack O'Connell opened up a two goal advantage, before James Hayter halved the deficit for the visitors. 

Manager Keith Hill was forced into making four changes following the injuries sustained by Peter Vincenti, Jamie Allen, Stephen Dawson and Ashley Eastham against Oldham in midweek. They were replaced by Joe Bunney, Callum Camps, Scott Tanser and Olly Lancashire. 

Early in the game, Rose forced a strong save from Scott Loach with a free kick from 25 yards. The ball looked to be sneaking just inside the post but the Yeovil goalkeeper got across quickly to push the ball away from danger. 

With the rain pouring down, Yeovil were gifted an opportunity to open the scoring from the spot as Jones brought down James Hayter. A Cannon back pass got stuck in a puddle just inside the box and Hayter was quickest to react. As he tried to round the Dale goalkeeper he went over Jones' outstretched leg.

Hayter took the resulting penalty but Jones redeemed the situation, guessing right and diving to his left to keep the ball out. 

HALF TIME: Rochdale 0-0 Yeovil

Dale opened the scoring early in the second half as Rhys Bennett scrambled the ball home. Rose whipped a free kick in from the left and it dropped to the feet of Bennett six yards out. After his first shot was blocked, Bennett smashed the ball back through the mass of bodies on the line and into the back of the net. 

Two minutes later and it was 2-0 to Dale as Jack O'Connell capitalised on mass confusion in the Yeovil defence. After a Rose corner dropped in the box, Loach looked to have smothered the ball but it squirmed free to O'Connell on the line who tapped home the simplest goal he'll ever score.  

A momentary lapse in concentration allowed Yeovil back into the game as Hayter was given too much space in the box. The ball was clipped into him from the left and he took the ball down comfortably before slotting in, low past Jones. 

Michael Rose came within inches of doubling Dale's lead once more from a free kick in a near perfect position 25 yards out, just left of centre. He looked to have found the top corner perfectly but it just curled narrowly wide of the upright at the last second. 

Dale came within a fingertip of sealing the win as the clocked ticked over to 90 minutes after Henderson delivered an inch perfect clip to Cannon at the back post. He met it with a powerful head but Loach stretched up an arm to tip the ball over the bar. 

In the end it didn't matter however, as Dale confidently saw out injury time to secure all three points. 

FULL TIME: Rochdale 2-1 Yeovil

Attendance: 2,650

Advertisement block