Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Dale 3-2 Wycombe

28 September 2013

Rochdale made it four wins from four in September with a 3-2 win over Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday.

Goals from Scott Hogan, Joe Bunney and Michael Rose saw Dale romp to a 3-0 lead after just 15 minutes, but goals either side of half time for the visitors made it game on at Spotland in a match which produced a hard fought second half.

Manager Keith Hill made two changes for the visit of the Chairboys. Joe Bunney and Matty Done were handed their first league starts of the season in place of the suspended George Donnelly and Peter Vincenti who dropped to the bench.

Rochdale opened their account for the day on five minutes through Scott Hogan, who showed fantastic composure to make the most of a brilliant short pass into the edge of the crowded area from Michael Rose. Hogan’s first touch was impressive and he turned the defender before firing it past goalkeeper Matt Ingham and into the back of the net.

Dale had come out of the blocks like a train, and they doubled their lead just five minutes later through Bunney.

Done, who was impressive, broke on the counter attack and picked out the young striker on the left hand flank with a sublime through ball. Bunney, who celebrated his 20th birthday on Thursday, coolly slotted it past the ‘keeper to give Dale an early advantage.

While Rochdale appeared to have taken their foot off the gas last week after taking an early lead at Accrington, they continued in a high tempo fashion against the Chairboys and added a third on 15 minutes through Rose who opened his account for the season with a stunning strike.

He was played into the action on the edge of the area from a short corner routine, and after being given time to pick his spot, he curled it into the top corner of the net leaving Ingram with no chance of a save.

Dale remained firmly in control for much of the half and they were the team who asked all the questions, however a goal against the run of play on 42 minutes saw Wycombe pull a goal back.

Matt McClure’s fine left footed drive gave the Chairboys a life line and Gareth Ainsworth’s side finished the half strongly.

Despite the late pressure, Dale remained resolute and went into the interval with a 3-1 lead.


There were no changes at the interval for Dale as Manager Keith Hill remained as was for the start of the second half, however Wycombe made a double substitution as Kortney House and Max Kretzschmar made way for Jon Paul Pitman and Matt Bloomfield respectively.

Rochdale started the second half the better of the two and were denied twice inside the first six minutes by ‘keeper Ingham. He pulled off a fantastic reaction save on 50 minutes to deny Done who sent a volley goalwards from an Ian Henderson cross.

Advertisement block