Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Youth Team

Youth Team Report | Dale 1-3 Wrexham

26 August 2023

Youth Team

Youth Team Report | Dale 1-3 Wrexham

26 August 2023

The Youth Team suffered a 3-1 defeat to Wrexham on home soil on Saturday, despite taking an early lead.

A strike from Mateus Mane in the first-half had Dale in the ascendency, but Joe Akpan’s dismissal eight minutes later proved to be the turning point.

Neither side could get forward in the opening stages and it wasn’t until the 13th minute that Wrexham created the first chance. A corner from the right caused confusion and the visiting player’s deflected effort was met brilliantly by Lennon MacLorg, who managed to tip it onto the woodwork and out.

Dale grew into the game and four minutes later hit the crossbar themselves. Corey Edwards found himself in acres of space and took the shot on from 25-yards, seeing his powerful attempt come off the crossbar and away.

Mane was looking lively down the right and after linking up well with Darren Ehimamiegho, the striker’s ball across just needed a touch.

A minute later, Dale found the breakthrough and it was that man Mane. He cut onto his left and curled one towards goal with the Wrexham keeper dumbfounded, allowing the ball to go through his hands and into the bottom corner.

Dale never managed to stay on the front foot as eight minutes later, the home side conceded a penalty and were down to ten. MacLorg’s parry out fell to the Wrexham left back who’s thunderous effort looked certain to find the target but was blocked by Akpan’s outstretched arm.

The referee brandished the red and Wrexham’s midfielder calmly sent MacLorg the wrong way to bring them back to level terms.

The side from Wales bossed the rest of the half and in the 36th minute they hit the post twice in a matter of seconds, the striker should’ve scored when clean through but found the upright, as did the man on the right shortly after.

And just as Dale thought they were heading into the break level, Wrexham got their go ahead goal. A move down the left was patient but effective, finding the number 10 on the penalty spot to steer home and secure a vital goal at a key time.

Kevin Dos Santos became a makeshift centre-half after Akpan’s sending off but he was given more freedom in the second 45 and he had a chance to draw level, but snatched at an effort which he dragged wide.

Wrexham hit the bar for the fourth time when Oscar Kelly sliced a clearance behind him and the bounce took it against the woodwork and into the grateful arms of MacLorg.

Edwards should’ve brought Dale level with just over 20 minutes remaining as his solo run took him past the goalkeeper, unfortunately the midfielder’s extra touch narrowed the angle and the opportunity vanished.

Wrexham’s wastefulness in front of goal meant the one-goal margin stayed intact until the 87th minute when Dale conceded a second penalty. The backline switched off from a quick set-piece and Burgess, left isolated, lunged in and left the referee with no alternative.

The midfielder converted this time with power to grab his second and the team’s third in what was their first win of the campaign and ensured they climbed above Dale in the standings.

Rochdale now have a short league break before they face Morecambe away from home on the 16th September, kick-off is 11am.

DALE XI | MacLorg, Akpan, Horne, Dos Santos, Edghill, Burgess, Edwards, Dunlop, Ehimamiegho, Mane, Kelly.

Subs | Nicholson, Mann, Clift, Bispo Martinez.

Report by Joe Heaton.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match