Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Carlisle United 3-3 Rochdale

3 September 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Carlisle United 3-3 Rochdale

3 September 2022

Dale secured a point on the road on Saturday from a 3-3 draw with Carlisle United, in Jim Bentley’s first league game in charge.

In an entertaining encounter at Brunton Park, Rochdale took the lead through debutant Scott Quigley but the Cumbrians equalised nine minutes before the break through Jon Mellish, as the sides went in level at half-time. Dale netted two quick fire goals early in the second half, as Devante Rodney and Quigley put Jim Bentley’s side 3-1 up. Kristian Dennis pulled one back for the hosts, before Paul Huntingdon levelled the scoring. 

There were five changes to the side that lined up against Accrington Stanley in the Papa John’s Trophy midweek. Richard O’Donnell, Toumani Diagouraga, Liam Kelly, Tyrese Sinclair and debutant Scott Quigley, who signed on loan from Stockport County on deadline day, came into the side for Cieran Slicker, Ethan Brierley, Connor Malley, Ray Tulloch and Abraham Odoh. 

Rochdale started the game brightly and were on top for much of the half and deservedly took the lead, but the Cumbrians grew into the game and levelled the scoring nine minutes before the interval. 

Although Dale started well, Carlisle’s Owen Moxen had the first real opportunity of the match in the 13th minute, but he fired his effort wide of O’Donnell’s right hand post.

After their positive start, Rochdale began to turn the screw and sixty seconds later, debutant Quigley hit over the bar on the turn from 20-yards. 

Dale were in again a shot time later, as James Ball had a low shot held after being played through by Diagouraga.

Quigley then struck wide of the far post, having received the ball inside the area from a quick free-kick. 

And Dale broke the deadlock soon after, in the 22nd minute, as Quigley opened his Rochdale account on his debut. Ball won the ball back in midfield, and after Kelly found Diagouraga, the midfielder sent the ball out wide to Sinclair, whose shot-cross was deflected upwards for the on loan forward to turn home from close range. 

Kelly’s afternoon was cut short around the half hour mark, when he went off through injury and was replaced by Brierley. 

The Cumbrians started to grow into the game and Fin Back got on the end of a ball to the back post, heading over. It was adjudged that the ball had taken a deflection off Aidy White on its way behind and the home side were awarded a corner. From the resulting set-piece, after the ball had been headed goalwards, it fell for Mellish, who drew Carlisle level in the 36th minute with an overhead kick from the edge of the six-yard box.

Soon after the goal, O'Donnell makes a good save with his legs to deny Kristian Dennis, as he diverted the low shot wide of the upright. 

As the board went up for four minutes of stoppage time, Jayden Harris sent a dangerous low ball across the face of goal, but Omari Patrick, who had earlier replaced Ryan Edmondson, could only turn his effort past the post on the stretch. 

The start of the second half belonged to Rochdale and two goals in as many minutes saw the side stride into a 3-1 lead. 

Shortly after the restart, Sinclair and Quigley both headed narrowly wide of the target as Dale put the hosts under early pressure. And the goals soon soon followed. 

Rodney put Dale back in front in the 51st minute. He latched onto Quigley’s superb through ball and finished first time beyond Holy. 

Rochdale extended their lead two minutes later. Ball did brilliantly to lose two of his markers and get into the area before feeing in Quigley, who turned and fired home from the middle of the area. 

Carlisle pulled a goal back with 58 minutes on the clock, when Dennis’ effort, from a cross from the right, squirmed over the line despite the best efforts of O’Donnell who tried in vain to keep it out. 

A double Dale switch followed shortly after the hour, as Jimmy Keohane made his long awaited return from injury, replacing White. Odoh also came on for Sinclair.

From a Dennis knock down, Patrick sent an effort narrowly over the bar, soon after. 

A further two changes followed, as Ian Henderson and Ben Nelson replaced Quigley and Jim McNulty, respectively. 

The home side levelled in the 78th minute, when Paul Huntington nodded home at the near post from a corner. 

Carlisle railed after their equaliser and they finished game strongly but were unable to carve out a clear cut opening, despite their late pressure, and the teams shared the points at Brunton Park. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match