Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Rochdale 0-1 Mansfield Town

12 November 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Rochdale 0-1 Mansfield Town

12 November 2022

Rochdale fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to Mansfield Town on Saturday.

George Maris’ 66th minute goal proved to be the difference between the two sides. 

There was one change from the midweek win over Salford City, as Ethan Brierley came in for the suspended Abraham Odoh. 

Early on, James Ball capitalised on a loose ball and played in Devante Rodney who had a shot blocked.

Soon after, up the other end, Cameron John superbly block behind Hiram Boateng’s close range effort. From the resulting corner, the ball came out to Boateng just inside the area and his shot down and into the ground, which took an awkward bounce, was well-held by Richard O’Donnell. 

A nice passage of play from Dale followed and Toumani Diagouraga clipped a pass in behind for Ball, who saw his attempted low delivery across the face of goal cleared away. 

After a Mansfield Town corner was flicked goal wards at the near post, Ethan Ebanks-Landell was there to hook it clear a couple of yards from the line.

O’Donnell was then called into action to deal with a Stags free-kick. After the ball bounced awkwardly around inside the six-yard box, the Rochdale goalkeeper got his body behind one effort, before diving to his left to pluck a follow up out of the air. 

Under pressure from Brierley, the visitors’ James Perch struck over the bar from the edge of the area. 

Shortly after the half hour mark, the best chance of the half opened up for Dale after Brierley sent Ian Henderson, who was being chased down by Ollie Hawkins, into the area with a ball over the top. It looked like the Mansfield defender would get there, but he fell, allowing the Rochdale forward to round him and get his shot away, onto to see it blocked by Ollie Clark. The ball came back out to Ball, whose shot from 25-yards was well-held. 

Anthony Hartigan then fired a speculative effort from 25-yards, while, on the stroke of half time, Hawkins sent a looping header narrowly over the bar, and the sides went in level at the break.

Five minutes after the restart, Sam Graham got himself in the way of Lucas Akins’ powerful shot from the edge of the area, before Perch saw an effort deflected wide of the upright. From the resulting corner, Stephen Quinn glanced header narrowly over the bar and onto the top netting. 

The Stags broke the deadlock in the 66th minute. The ball was swung into the area towards the back post and substitute Maris bundled home from close range, to give the Mansfield the lead. 

Dale’s first changes of the game followed eight minutes later, as Rayhaan Tulloch and Femi Seriki replaced Ball and Jimmy Keohane, respectively.

Jason Law sent a speculative effort well wide of the target.

Rodney made way for Connor Malley with five minutes to go, before Oscar Kelly replaced Tyrese Sinclair as the game entered seven minutes of stoppage time. 

Rochdale were unable to carve out any opportunties during the final moments and the Stags secured three points on the road. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match