Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Rochdale 1-1 Crawley Town

27 August 2022

Match Reports

Match Report | Rochdale 1-1 Crawley Town

27 August 2022

Rochdale secured their first point of the season following 1-1 draw with Crawley Town at the Crown Oil Arena on Saturday.

Tyrese Sinclair’s header on the hour ensured a more than deserved draw for Dale, after the visitors had gone ahead in stoppage time at the end of the first half thanks to Jack Powells' powerful strike. 

There were three changes from Tuesday night’s game against Sheffield Wednesday in the Carabao Cup, as Richard O’Donnell, Ben Nelson and Tyrese Sinclair came in for Cieran Slicker, Sam Graham and James Ball.

The first half was a relatively quiet affair with one moment of quality proving to be the difference between the two sides, as the Reds opened the scoring in stoppage time. 

Prior to that, Dale had a couple of chances as the game approached the half hour. After a swift move forward, started by Femi Seriki up the right, Ian Henderson found Aidy White, who struck into the side netting. Tyrese Sinclair then had a shot held by Corey Addai at the near post. 

Soon after, Henderson was sent through on goal but a timely challenge dispossessed him as he looked to to get his shot away. 

Tom Nicholls struck wide from distance, before the visitors broke the deadlock in stoppage time, when Powell smashed a powerful effort into the top corner from the edge of the area. 

Interim manager Jim McNulty made one change for the start of the second half, as Abraham Odoh replaced Seriki and it looked to be an inspired substitution as he arguably changed the game with his positive impact on proceedings. 

Dale dominated the second half and set the tone early on, with Devante Rodney having a low shot saved, after being played in by Aidy White, inside the opening 30 seconds. 

Soon after, the forward had another shot kept out by Addai, before the stopper also denied Liam Kelly, who wasn’t to know an offside flag would go up. 

The goalkeeper was then forced to punch away Cameron John’s curling free-kick from the right, before Odoh saw an effort superbly headed away by a Crawley Town defender.

Rochdale were turning the screw and their deserved equaliser came on the hour. After they worked the ball down the left, White sent a dangerous cross into the middle, where Sinclair sent a diving header into the far bottom corner. 

Dale continued on top and had a couple of corners in quick succession that troubled the Reds, however the visitors were able to clear the danger. 

Sinclair then saw a shot deflected narrowly wide of the target. 

Graham replaced Nelson in the 72nd minute, after the defender was unable to continue through injury. 

Kelly had a low effort from 25-yards held by Addai, before a double Rochdale switch followed - Connor Malley and Ray Tulloch replaced Henderson and Sinclair.

Crawley Town were reduced to ten men with four minutes of the match remaining, when Nick Tsaroulla received a yellow card. 

Captain Ethan-Ebanks Landell was also forced off through injury, and replaced by Ball in stoppage time. 

Agonisingly, right at the death, Addai pulled off a superb save to deny Kelly, getting behind the shot at the last moment to prevent it creeping in at the post. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match