Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Newcastle United 4-1 Dale - Emirates FA Cup Third Round Replay

14 January 2020

Match Reports

Report | Newcastle United 4-1 Dale - Emirates FA Cup Third Round Replay

14 January 2020

Dale fell to a 4-1 defeat at St James’ Park on Tuesday, in the Emirates FA Cup third round replay, but gave a fine account of themselves against Premier League opposition.

MJ Williams scored a late consolation goal for Dale, after an own goal from Eoghan O’Connell and goals from Matty Longstaff, Miguel Almiron and Joelinton put the home side four goals to the good.

Jimmy Keohane had Dale’s first attempt, when his low strike from the edge of the area whistled past the post.

Almiron went close for the home side, firing wide from just outside the box before cannoning a shot off the post minutes later.

The Magpies took the lead when Matt Ritchie’s searching cross caused confusion in the Dale defence and Eoghan O’Connell’s attempt to stop the cross saw him divert the ball into his own net.

Matty Longstaff doubled Newcastle’s lead when he controlled another Ritchie cross before firing the ball home on the turn.

Robert Sanchez’s error handed the home side a third, when he passed straight to Almiron who kept his composure before blasting home.

Newcastle almost made it four when Sanchez spilled a Ritchie cross, before Christian Atsu squared the ball to Emil Krafth who fired over from close range.

Dale nearly pulled a goal back following a corner, Aaron Wilbraham firing just over the bar on the spin.

Joelinton went close when he found space on the edge of the area before curling a shot well over the bar.

Callum Camps’ driving run forward ended with him playing the ball to Keohane who got a shot away but it was tame and easy for Karl Darlow to hold onto.

Into the second half, Dale were inches away from getting back into the game when Jimmy Ryan volleyed just over the bar from range.

Stephen Dooley then met a cross from the left-hand side, glancing a header just over.

Another Dale attack saw Camps shoot from the edge of the box, which was well held by Darlow.

Two second-half substitutes combined for Newcastle, with Andy Carroll teeing up Jonjo Shelvey who fired wide.

A different Newcastle substitute then set up the fourth goal, Tom Allan crossing for Joelinton who prodded the ball under Jay Lynch, who had replaced Sánchez in the Dale goal, who was introduced at half-time.

Calvin Andrew was introduced in the latter stages of the game and went close with a downward header which was easy for Darlow to hold onto.

Dale did pull a goal back with just over five minutes left to play, Aaron Wilbraham laying the ball off to MJ Williams who scored his first goal for Dale, firing a shot in off the post leaving Darlow with no chance.

Newcastle nearly had a fifth when Carroll was denied expertly by Lynch, who tipped the ball onto the post.

The game ended 4-1 and Dale were well beaten, but their second half performance was one to be proud of.

Brian Barry-Murphy’s men are next in action on Saturday, as they face Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park, with ticket details for that game available HERE.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match