Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Fleetwood 2-1 Dale

21 September 2019

Dale were beaten 2-1 by Fleetwood Town at Highbury Stadium, as the hosts continued their unbeaten home run, which stretches back to February.

Rekeil Pyke had put Dale in front with a fine finish, but Danny Andrew equalised midway through the opening period.

Ched Evans netted the winning goal in the 87th minute, meeting a cross from the left to secure all three points for the hosts.

Brian Barry-Murphy made one change to his side from Tuesday night’s draw against Lincoln City, as Luke Matheson replaced Jimmy Keohane at right-back.

The hosts had the first effort of the game as Danny Andrew curled wide of the far post, but it was Dale who made the ideal start, taking the lead inside eight minutes.

Ian Henderson received the ball down the left and crossed to the back post for Matheson. He nodded back into the path of Pyke, who displayed a great touch and turn, before firing beyond Alex Cairns from the edge of the six-yard box.

Wes Burns fired wide of the far post after intercepting Robert Sánchez’s kick out, whilst Henderson scooped an effort over the bar following Pyke’s square ball across the area.

Dale made an early substitution when Jimmy Ryan replaced Eoghan O’Connell in the 18th minute.

The scores were level four minutes later when Burns’ cross from the right found its way to Danny Andrew at the back post, and he finished first time.

The Fleetwood scorer then forced Sánchez into a parry with a wayward cross, before he collected a follow up header.

The stopper then held comfortably from Josh Morris’ low effort, whilst Kyle Dempsey and Ched Evans sent strikes off target.

Aaron Morley replaced Pyke shortly after the break, after the Dale goalscorer appeared to pick up a knock.

Morris’ well struck effort was well held by Sánchez to his left, before Danny Andrew sent a free-kick well over for the hosts.

Calvin Andrew replaced Henderson midway through the second period as Dale looked to put themselves back in front, with Ryan seeing a shot deflected wide.

However, it was the hosts who grabbed the winning goal three minutes from time. A whipped cross from the left was met by the head of Evans, who nodded into the near post.

Dale pushed for a late equaliser, but couldn’t carve out the chance they needed to rescue a point.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match