Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 2-1 Accrington Stanley

12 October 2019

Match Reports

Report | Dale 2-1 Accrington Stanley

12 October 2019

An Ian Henderson brace helped Dale to a 2-1 win over Accrington Stanley at the Crown Oil Arena on Saturday.

He opened the scoring six minutes before the break, and added a second shortly after the interval with a sublime chip.

Joe Pritchard scored a stunning goal to bring the visitors back into it, whilst Dale stopper Robert Sánchez made a stunning save late on to preserve the lead until full-time.

Eoghan O’Connell, Matty Done, Jimmy Ryan and Ian Henderson all returned to the starting line-up, whilst Paul McShane made his debut for the Club after signing in midweek.

An even opening to the game saw Ollie Rathbone fire narrowly wide from the edge of the area with his left-foot, whilst Jordan Clark curled an effort well over for the visitors.

Sam Finley fired a couple of efforts off target for Stanley, before Sánchez made a smart diving save to his left, holding on to Clark’s effort.

The deadlock was broken shortly before the half-time whistle, when Henderson grabbed his first of the game.

Rathbone fired an effort goalwards from the edge of the area which was spilled, and Henderson pounced to fire the loose ball into the roof of the net in front of the Sandy Lane end.

The Dale skipper had another chance before the interval, when he raced on to Camps’ through ball. With Accrington goalkeeper Dimitar Evtimov off his line, Henderson chipped the ball over his head, but could only find the side netting.

However, he wasn’t to be denied after the break. He latched onto a loose, bouncing ball 25-yards from goal, with the Stanley stopper again off his line, Henderson lobbed the ball over his head and into the back of the net in superb fashion.

The two-goal lead only lasted four minutes though, when Stanley scored a stunner of their own, as Pritchard fired a swerving, dipping effort into the top corner from 30-yards.

Sánchez then denied Clark with a strong one-handed save to his right, who then fired a couple off efforts off target for the visitors.

O’Connell and Done saw shots blocked for Dale, whilst Rathbone sent a volley narrowly over the crossbar, as Barry-Murphy’s men looked to restore their two-goal cushion.

Sánchez then pulled off a wonderful one-handed save in the dying minutes to turn Colby Bishop’s close-range header over the crossbar.

Clark had a final chance for Stanley late on but he couldn’t turn it goalwards, and Dale held on for their first home league win of the season.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match