Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Charlton Athletic 4-0 Dale

4 May 2019

Dale were beaten 4-0 by playoff contenders Charlton Athletic, in their final game of the  2018/19 season.

The hosts were 3-0 up at the break thanks to Joe Aribo, a Calvin Andrew own goal, and Lyle Taylor, before Krystian Bielik rounded off the scoring with fifteen minutes remaining of the second period.

Brian Barry-Murphy made five changes from last weekend’s win over Southend United as Kgosi Ntlhe, Ryan Delaney, Calvin Andrew, Dan Adshead and Aaron Morley all started.

The hosts almost took the lead inside the opening two minutes, but Ntlhe and Delaney combined to produce a superb block on Aribo, who then curled a left foot effort just beyond the far post.

Ethan Hamilton had Dale’s first effort of the game deflected wide, before he diverted an Ntlhe header across goal well off target.

Josh Lillis held on to an effort from Lyle Taylor, but it was the Charlton man’s challenge on the goalkeeper which saw the bal fall for Aribo who, with a number of Dale defenders in between him and the goal, curled an effort over them and into the top corner.

Callum Camps saw a fizzing effort from 25-yards tipped over the crossbar, before Morley curled one over from just outside the area after a corner had been partially cleared.

The hosts doubled their lead shortly after the half hour mark in fortuitous circumstances when Taylor’s cross from the right was turned over the line by Andrew as he tried his best to defend away.

Hamilton saw an acrobatic effort fly over the crossbar before his free-kick from a wide position was blocked away.

Charlton scored their third of the game when Taylor latched on to a finely weighted through ball and finished coolly beyond Lillis.

Jimmy Keohane made an important block on the stroke of half-time to deny Josh Parker’s close-range effort, whilst after the break Albie Morgan fired into the net and Parker fired wide with an open net at his mercy, after Taylor’s turn and shot was well saved by Lillis.

Aribo fired an effort over from inside the area before Parker’s flick from Taylor’s cross went narrowly wide of the far post.

Camps then had a flick of his own deflected wide from Andrew’s ball into the area, before substitute Joe Bunney sent a volley well over from a corner kick.

The Addicks scored their fourth with 15 minutes remaining, when Bielik rounded off a fine team move, playing a neat one-two on the edge of the area before firing low into the far corner.

Following the goal, second-year scholar Lewis Bradley made his professional debut, replacing Pyke.

Lillis made a strong stop from Morgan’s powerful effort, who connected perfectly with Taylor’s right-wing cross, whilst Parker fired over from 20-yards, with what proved to be the last effort of the game.

Advertisement block