Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Barnsley 2-1 Dale

26 January 2019

Match Reports

Report | Barnsley 2-1 Dale

26 January 2019

Dale suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Barnsley despite a rousing performance at Oakwell.

Ian Henderson’s 16th goal of the season put Dale in front shortly after the break, with the skipper converting Jim McNulty’s fine through ball.

Kieffer Moore equalised five minutes later, before Cauley Woodrow’s goal in the 74th minute secured all three points for the home side.

Keith Hill made two changes to the starting line-up from last weekend’s draw at home to Fleetwood Town.

Ryan McLaughlin made his Dale debut at right-back, with Ryan Delaney replacing Matty Done at left-back.

Dale began brightly, with Stephen Dooley setting up Callum Camps for a first-time effort from distance which flew wide, before Dooley saw a low shot deflected beyond the far post, both inside the opening 15 minutes.

When Dooley was fouled 25-yards from the Barnsley goal, Rory Holden tried his luck, goalkeeper Adam Davies held well.

At the other end, Kieffer Moore fired wide after a lay off inside the area, before Ethan Pinnock blazed a snap shot well over.

Jacob Brown sent an effort into the side netting, whilst Delaney fired an effort well over the crossbar after doing well to reach Dooley’s deep free-kick.

Dale got off to a superb start in the second period, breaking the deadlock. Jim McNulty picked out Henderson with a stunning through ball from a free-kick, and the Dale skipper netted his 16th of the season in clinical fashion, sliding a left-foot effort home.

However, the lead lasted just five minutes, when Moore smashed home a left-foot shot from 20-yards after the ball had squirmed through to him.

A fine Dale move led to McLaughlin crossing for Andrew, who glanced a header wide of the far post.

Moore fired an effort wide from distance, before a fine break Holden sparked a Dale attack which ended with Henderson’s effort being tipped wide of the near post.

Josh Lillis held on to a sliding effort from Woodrow, but the Dale goalkeeper could do nothing in the 74th minute when the Barnsley striker put his side ahead.

Jacob Brown turned into the area and played a square ball which fell kindly for Woodrow who smashed home from eight yards.

Dimitri Cavaré and half-time substitute Kenny Dougall fired off target, before substitute Aaron Wilbraham sent a looping header onto the roof of the net.

Lillis produced a fine save to deny ? from point blank range, before substitute fired well wide.

Wilbraham saw a shot deflected wide of the near post and another shot was blocked during  a melee from a corner as Dale piled on the pressure in added time.

However, Dale couldn’t find the equaliser their play deserved.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match