Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Millwall 2-2 Dale

27 January 2018

Match Reports

Report | Millwall 2-2 Dale

27 January 2018

Rochdale earned a replay against Championship Millwall after a superb performance in a 2-2 draw.

Jed Wallace’s penalty put The Lions ahead, before Ian Henderson levelled just after the half hour mark.

Matty Done put Dale ahead after the break, but as Dale looked to be heading into the fifth round, Ben Thompson levelled matters in the 90th minute to take the game to a replay.

Keith Hill made two changes from Dale’s game at Gillingham a fortnight ago, as Joe Rafferty and Ryan Delaney, making his debut after joining from Burton Albion earlier this month, both started.

Dale started brightly against the Championship side, but it was the hosts who took the lead in the 17th minute.

Donervon Daniels’ sliding challenge felled Fred Onyedinma in the area, and Wallace despatched his penalty to Josh Lillis’ right, despite the goalkeeper getting a hand to it.

Matty Done, playing left wing-back, ensured Dale didn’t fall two behind minutes later, when he cleared before Tom Elliott could get to the rebound from his own effort which was saved by Lillis.

Dale put the early setback behind them, and by the half hour mark were the team on top.

Andy Cannon’s touch at the near post from Done’s cross was deflected behind, before only a superb last-ditch challenge from Jason Shackell denied Mark Kitching who had been found by Calvin Andrew’s excellent through ball.

The visitors deservedly equalised in the 32nd minute, through Henderson’s exquisite finish. He latched on to a perfectly-weighted through ball from Cannon, and curled into the far post beyond the outstretched David Martin.

Dale began the second half where they left-off in the first, as Kitching and Cannon both had shots from distance held by Martin.

16-year-old Dan Adshead replaced Callum Camps early on in the second period, and just two minutes later Dale took the lead.

Good play on the right side led to Cannon’s cross being deflected over the head of goalkeeper Martin, and as it was set to cross the line, Done tapped-in to make sure, sparking great celebrations in front of the travelling Dale fans.

For a period after the Dale goal, the game was end-to-end, as Cannon saw two efforts held by Martin, and Elliott had three efforts for the hosts.

He was twice denied by Lillis, who flew to his left to deny a shot on the turn, before holding on to a header from point blank range. The striker also headed over a right-wing cross from Onyedinma.

Ollie Rathbone repalaced Cannon with ten minutes remaining, before Elliott glanced another header wide from Wallace’s cross, and Jake Cooper nodded wide.

It was backs to the wall stuff for Dale in the closing stages, typified by Jim McNulty’s courageous block to deflected Elliott’s effort over the crossbar from 12-yards.

However, with the game in the final minute of the 90, Thompson superbly turned home a cross from the right-wing, giving Lillis no chance as the ball flew in at the near post to take the game to a replay at the Crown Oil Arena.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match