Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Dale 0-1 Lincoln City (Checkatrade Trophy)

9 January 2018

Match Reports

Report: Dale 0-1 Lincoln City (Checkatrade Trophy)

9 January 2018

A late Lincoln City goal saw Rochdale exit the Checkatrade Trophy at the third-round stage, as the visitors to the Crown Oil Arena progressed with a 1-0 win.

Ollie Palmer netted for the Imps in the 88th minute to deny Dale a place in the last eight.

Manager Keith made three changes to the side that lined up against Doncaster Rovers at the weekend, with Joe Rafferty, Harrison McGahey and Bradden Inman

Andy Cannon had the first real chance of the game on 11 minutes, when he curled an effort from 20-yards narrowly wide of the upright.

Dale came close again nine minutes later, when Mark Kitching delivered a dangerous low ball across goal, which skipped past the post.

The visitors had a golden chance to break the deadlock on 26 minutes when the unmarked Matt Rhead was picked out by a cross in from the right. He failed to get enough power on his effort, heading straight at Josh Lillis.

Soon after, Cannon hit over the bar from 18-yards, after good work by Daniel Adshead blocked an attempted clearance from the visitors. The ball fell for Cannon, who struck on the turn.

There were big appeals for a penalty on the half hour mark, when Joe Rafferty went to ground inside the area after taking the ball past his marker, but the referee was quick to say no.

The visitors were looking to utilise the stature of Rhead, and although chances were at a premium for the Imps, he had a second opportunity of the game to get his name on the score sheet when he met a ball to the back post, but he could only steer his header straight at the Dale goalkeeper.

The Imps’ Paul Farman was forced into a save to deny Joe Bunney who sent a powerful free-kick at goal, with the set-piece pushed over the bar by the ‘keeper.


Clear cut opportunities were hard to come by during the second half as the two sides defended resolutely.

Rochdale had the first chance of the period, when Calvin Andrew headed just wide of the upright from a corner, before Lillis was forced into a save to deny Alex Woodyard, who stuck from 20-yards.

Keith Hill made a double substitution on 70 minutes, with Andrew and Daniel Adshead making way for Jordan Williams and Callum Camps, before a third and final change came 11 minutes later, as Ian Henderson replaced Rafferty.

The Imps finished the half strongly and took a late lead through Ollie Palmer in the 88th minute, who finished from six-yards after latching onto a low ball in from the left.

Two minutes later, and in the last chance of the game, they came close to adding a second, when the ball ricocheted into the path of Harry Anderson, who lifted the ball up and over the outrushing Lillis and onto the top netting.

Dale threw men forward late on, but couldn’t find an equaliser that would send the game to penalties.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match