Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 2-2 Spurs

18 February 2018

Match Reports

Report | Dale 2-2 Spurs

18 February 2018

Steven Davies’ 93rd minute strike earned Dale a draw against Tottenham Hotspur and a date at Wembley, in the Emirates FA Cup fifth round.

Dale were the better team in the opening period, in which Ian Henderson struck on the stroke of half-time to give Keith Hill’s men the lead.

Brazilian Lucas Moura equalised on the hour mark for Spurs, before Harry Kane’s 88th minute penalty looked to have knocked Dale out of the cup.

However, the hosts never gave up, and Steven Davies’ strike in stoppage time ensured Dale live to fight another day in the cup at Wembley.

Harrison McGahey came in for the cup-tied Scott Wiseman in the only change from midweek.

Dale began strongly, and were more than a match for their Premier League opponents throughout the opening period.

Josh Lillis was first called into action after 12 minutes, saving comfortable from Toby Alderweireld’s flicked header, and moments later Dale had legitimate claims for a penalty.

Andy Cannon turned Alderweireld in the area, with the Belgian falling on top of the ball and making a connection with his arm, but referee Bobby Madeley waved away any shouts.

Dale’s first effort on target fell to Henderson, who fired straight at Michel Vorm after Cannon had won the ball high up the pitch allowing Dale to break.

Lillis made a strong one-on-one stop from Heung-Min Son, before Fernando Llorente clipped the resulting effort wide after the ball had come to him.

Lucas Moura then powered a shot wide of the upright after Kieran Trippier’s ball across the face goal was kept alive by Llorente, before Henderson sliced an effort well wide after being found by a through ball.

On the stroke of half-time, the moment came. Mark Kitching won the ball high up the pitch and found Stephen Humphries, who played a lovely ball into the channel for Cannon.

He played Henderson in, who fired clinically first-time past Vorm to give Dale the lead.

After the interval, Spurs came out full of intent, with Harry Winks testing Lillis after a strong run forward.

Then came their equaliser. Moussa Sissoko found Lucas on the left side of the area, and he finished calmly high past Lillis.

Dale continued to battle well against Spurs, with Callum Camps sending a low free-kick wide of the near post, whilst the visitors introduced their big guns in the shape of Erik Lamela, Alli and Kane.

Victor Wanyama turned a back-post corner over the bar, whilst Alli fired a shot off the body of Lillis before the ball ricocheted back off the England star and out for a goal kick.

Matty Done headed off the line after Ryan Delaney threw his body on the line in the way of a Spurs effort, but it looked as though Dale’s FA Cup adventure had come to an end when Kane converted a penalty two minutes from time.

However, Davies would have the last word, bringing down a Done cross impeccably before firing home low at the near post, setting up a date at Wembley in over a week’s time.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match