Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-0 Millwall

6 February 2018

Match Reports

Report | Dale 1-0 Millwall

6 February 2018

Ian Henderson’s strike sent Dale into the fifth round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 1-0 victory over Millwall.

After being denied a win late on at The Den ten days ago, Dale rose to the challenge yet again, seeing off their Championship opponents thanks to a thoroughly determined performance.

Henderson’s second-half strike was enough, steering Calvin Andrew’s cross into the far post nine minutes after the break.

Harrison McGahey came in for the cup-tied Scott Wiseman, in Dale’s only change from the win at Northampton Town.

Dale had a golden chance in the first minute to break the deadlock, when Matty Done’s effort deflected into the path of Andy Cannon, who fired wide on the volley from ten-yards.

Ryan Delaney had a looping header comfortably caught by Millwall goalkeeper David Martin, whilst Shaun Williams headed over Shane Ferguson’s free-kick for the visitors.

Ian Henderson had a shout for a penalty when he was felled inside the area, but referee Tim Robinson waved away the protests.

As the half came to a close, Conor McLaughlin fired well over from distance, in a first period that failed to create many goal scoring opportunities.

The beginning of the second-half provided much more by way of chances, as Cannon’s deflected cross had to be held by Martin at his near post, before Ryan Tunnicliffe tested Lillis from distance.

The big moment came nine minutes after the break. Henderson played a ball into the left channel for Andrew to race on to.

He got the better of his defender and drove into the area, before playing a ball to the near post where Henderson finished first time beyond Martin.

That sent the Dale fans into raptures, and from then on the Crown Oil Arena crowd were willing their side home.

Cannon had a left foot shot held, before Callum Camps also saw a free-kick held by Martin.

Millwall threw bodies forward in their attempt to force the game into extra-time, but the Dale defence held strong and didn’t allow any real opportunities to unfold.

Andrew fired wide late on for Dale, who saw out the four minutes of added time relatively comfortably, setting up a fifth round tie against either Tottenham Hotspur or Newport County. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match