Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Dale 0-1 Portsmouth (Emirates FA Cup Second Round)

2 December 2018

Match Reports

Report | Dale 0-1 Portsmouth (Emirates FA Cup Second Round)

2 December 2018

A deflected 90th minute strike saw Dale cruelly knocked out of this year’s Emirates FA Cup in a 1-0 defeat to Portsmouth.

Both sides struck the woodwork in an even contest, but Andre Green’s strike late on took a wicked deflection to see the League One table toppers through to the third round.

Keith Hill made six changes to the side that started at Oxford United in midweek. Joe Rafferty, Stephen Dooley, MJ Williams, Calvin Andrew, Jordan Williams and Matty Done all returned to the starting eleven.

Both sides created half chances in the game’s opening quarter, with Oliver Hawkins seeing an effort held and Jordan Williams dragging a half volley wide after an Andrew flick on.

The visitors saw a number of efforts fly off target from distance, two through Ben Thompson and another two from Gareth Evans which came closer to troubling Josh Lillis.

Ryan Delaney headed into the arms of Craig MacGillivray, before Jordan Williams latched on to another Andrew flick on and sent an effort narrowly wide of the far post.

Ronan Curtis fired into the arms of Lillis before the Dale stopper produced a fine fingertip save to turn Curtis’ fizzing strike from 25-yards onto the crossbar.

Dale began the second-half the better of the two sides, with Done seeing a free-kick deflected over the crossbar and MJ Williams firing off target from distance.

The best chance of the game was created when Henderson fed a through ball to Andrew, who had a one-on-one saved by the legs of MacGillivray. Adshead’s follow up effort was well blocked by a Pompey defender.

Five minutes later, Done crashed an effort off the crossbar after being found by Jordan Williams who had drove forward down the left.

Efforts from Hawkins and Curtis tested Lillis, whilst Jack Whatmough headed a great chance from a free-kick into the side netting for the visitors.

Henderson sent a dipping volley narrowly over the crossbar after Andrew laid off the skipper’s flick on back to him, and the tie looked to be heading to a replay until a 90th minute winner for Portsmouth.

Thy were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the area which was laid off to Green, whose first time effort took a wicked deflected, looping into the top corner out of Lillis’ reach.

Dale still had time to almost carve out an equaliser in the final of five minutes added on when Henderson was denied by a superb save from MacGillivray, before shouts for a penalty on Andy Cannon were waved away, but Dale headed out of this season’s Emirates FA Cup in the cruellest of fashions.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match