Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report | AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Rochdale

8 December 2018

Rochdale picked up a point on the road on Saturday, after drawing 1-1 with AFC Wimbledon at Kingsmeadow.

Calvin Andrew gave Dale the lead when he scrambled the ball over the line in the 35th minute, but the hosts levelled the scoring midway through the second half.

There were two changes to the side that lined-up against Portsmouth in the Emirates FA Cup last weekend, as David Perkins and Andy Cannon came into the starting eleven in place of Ollie Rathbone and Jordan Williams.

Rochdale edged the first half and created the better of the chances before going on to take a deserved lead 10 minutes before the break, having played some excellent football.
Andy Cannon curled an effort marginally wide, while Ian Henderson came close when he dipped an effort just over the bar.

The home side failed to truly trouble during the 45 minutes, with their best chance of the half falling to James Hanson who could only hit high over the bar from around 12-yards out, despite a dangerous ball in from Scott Waggstaff.

Rochdale’s goal in the 35th minute was awarded to Andrew, after he appeared to get the last touch at the back post to scramble home a low Joe Rafferty ball across the face of goal.


The hosts were much improved following the break and had the first chance of the half less than sixty seconds after the restart, when Hanson met a ball in from the right and headed inches over the bar.

Moments later, Henderson flashed an effort narrowly wide from distance, as Rochdale also went close.

Cannon landed awkwardly after getting a shot away and needed treatment, and he was replaced a short time later, in the 55th minute, by Inman, as Keith Hill made his first substitution of the game.

Substitute Andy Barcham levelled for the hosts with 70 minutes on the clock, striking low across goal and into the bottom corner of the net beyond an outstretching Lillis, after a period of sustained pressure from the home side.

A short time later Adshead made way for Rathbone.

And before Matty Gillam replaced David Perkins, Lillis pulled off an important save with his feet to keep out Hanson, who was through on goal.

In the closing stages of the game, Andrew headed down inside the area causing panic inside the AFC Wimbledon box and Gillam had an effort turned around the upright.

In the 90th minute, Andrew was denied his second of the afternoon, as McDonnell pulled off a wonderful save to keep him out. His header looked destined for the back of the net but the ‘keeper dived to his left to push it away.  

Deep in stoppage time, there were appeals for a handball inside the area, but a Dale free-kick on the edge of the box was awarded instead, and Done struck over the bar from the resulting set-piece.


Advertisement block