Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Dale 4-0 Bromley

4 November 2017

Match Reports

Report: Dale 4-0 Bromley

4 November 2017

Rochdale advanced to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup with a dominant 4-0 victory over Bromley.

Bradden Inman put Dale ahead inside ten minutes and Ian Henderson doubled the lead from the penalty spot just after the half hour mark.

Inman grabbed a third goal and his second shortly after the break, before Henderson completed the scoring six minutes from time.

There were two enforced changes to the side as Joe Bunney and MJ Williams missed out through suspension, with Kgosi Ntlhe and Oliver Rathbone replacing them.

Dale came flying out of the blocks straight from kick-off, and almost took the lead inside the first minute.

Matty Done failed to make full contact with a low cross when well placed inside the area, before Henderson’s follow up effort curling just wide.

Ntlhe impressed coming into the side, and he beat a defender and found Inman with a pull-back, but the forward dragged his shot wide.

However, that combination would pay dividends in the tenth minute, when Dale broke the deadlock. Ntlhe found Inman inside the area, and he showed superb skill to drag the ball past a defender, before coolly slotting home from a tight angle.

Ntlhe was so nearly provider turned goalscorer ten minutes later, when he headed Henderson’s cross off the foot of the post after stealing in at the far post.

The non-league visitors had their first real effort from Louis Dennis, but he curled a shot well wide.

Dale doubled their lead from the penalty spot just after the half hour mark, after Joe Rafferty was fouled as he attempted to latch on to a Calvin Andrew through ball.

Henderson stepped up, and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way to put his side firmly in control.

The visitors had a couple of chances to half the deficit heading into the break, when Brett Williams and Josh Rees both headed off target from set pieces.

Dale began the second half as they had done the first, and came close to extending their lead when Ntlhe kept a ball over the top alive, pulling the ball back towards Andrew. He headed into the path of Inman, who couldn’t connect properly with his shot and it trickled through to David Gregory in the Bromley goal.

Dan Johnson headed a Luke Wanadio cross just wide for the visitors, and from the goal kick, Dale did extend their lead.

Josh Lillis took the goal kick quickly, and played a superb ball over the top of the Bromley defence for Inman to run onto, and he finished clinically from just inside the area.

Henderson had a turn and shot from inside the area saved at the near post as they looked to add more to their tally, whilst at the other end Lillis had to make a fine save to his right from Sutherland’s crisply struck effort.

The National League side were reduced to ten men with 15 minutes remaining, when Brett Williams was shown a straight red for an off-the-ball incident involving Rathbone.

Rathbone was very close to putting the ten men to the sword, when his shot was well saved and fell to Andrew, who had his shot superbly blocked on the line.

Henderson then had a delicate chip tipped over the crossbar, before he doubled his tally with six minutes remaining. A cross was blocked and fell kindly for the Dale skipper, who finished into the far bottom corner.

He came so close to a hat-trick two minutes later, when a cross came all the way to him at the far post. He struck backn across goal, only to see his effort cleared off the line.

Jordan Slew and Mark Kitching both made late cameo appearances, as Dale comfortably passed through to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match