Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Swindon Town 3-0 Rochdale: Report

18 October 2016

Rochdale fell to their first defeat in ten games on Tuesday night, losing 3-0 to Swindon Town at the County Ground.

The Robins were 3-0 victors over ten man Dale thanks to goals from Darnell Furlong, Nathan Delfouneso and Nathan Thompson. 

There were no changes to the eleven that line-up against Bury in Saturday’s local derby victory, as Manager Keith Hill named an unchanged side. 

Rochdale had a half chance in the eleventh minute when Steven Davies picked out Ian Henderson on the right hand flank. The Dale Captain flashed a cross-come-shot across the face of goal and wide of the target. 

In the main, clear cut opportunities were at a premium during the opening exchanges, though, as both sides defended resolutely, and it was the home side who broke the deadlock with the first shot on target of the game. 

Furlong drilled the ball low into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area with 24 minutes on the clock. 

And the Robins doubled their advantage eight minutes later when Delfouneso beat the offside trap to race onto a through ball and strike beyond Josh Lillis in the Rochdale goal. 

Dale worked hard to try and find a way back into the game and Joe Bunney came closest to halving the deficit, as he drilled a rasping first time effort narrowly wide of the post. 


There were two changes for the start of the second half, with Andy Cannon and Oliver Rathbone replacing Steven Davies and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing. 

Rochdale started the half the brighter of the two teams as they attacked the home side at pace, and just a minute after the re-start Dale were awarded a penalty for a trip on Joe Rafferty.  

Henderson’s spot-kick was kept out by Vigouroux, who managed to get a hand to the effort from 12-yards to tip it onto the bar. 

Rochdale were in control at the start of the half, but the home side gave Dale a reminder of their attacking intent when Ellis Iandolo fired narrowly wide of the upright from distance in the 54th minute.

Dale continued to probe but as the home side defended resolutely, Hill opted to make his third and final substitution shortly after the half hour mark, and Matty Lund was replaced by Sanmi Odelusi.

Any hopes of a Rochdale comeback were dealt a blow in the 74th minute when Bunney was shown a straight red card. 

Camps saw a drive from distance kept out by Vigouroux, before the home side netted their third of the evening from a debatable free-kick to put the game out of sight. 

The set-piece was sent into the area and turned home by the stalking Thompson from close range. 

Andrew had a header saved on the line by the ‘keeper before the game was out, but the home side saw out the match to claim the points. 


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match