Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Charlton Athletic 0-1 Rochdale: Report

1 October 2016

Club News

Charlton Athletic 0-1 Rochdale: Report

1 October 2016

Dale made it four wins on the bounce, as a Calvin Andrew goal secured a 1-0 victory at Charlton Athletic.

A headed goal in the 25th minute proved to be the match winner for a resolute Dale who defended for their lives in a second half that saw Josh Lillis save a penalty from Johnnie Jackson.

Keith Hill named one change from Tuesday’s win over Bolton Wanderers. Ian Henderson missed out through a concussion sustained in midweek, with match winner Steven Davies replacing him.

Dale started the first half brightly and confidently after three wins from three coming into the game. Calvin Andrew partnered Davies up top initially, before Dale switched back to the formation from Tuesday night.

Josh Lillis made the first save of the game, diving low to his right to hold on to a shot from Ademola Lookman.

Andrew had Dale’s first chance a minute later, when he headed a Joe Rafferty corner wide under pressure from the Charlton defence.

Josh Maggenis sent a long range free-kick just wide of Lillis’ right post, but it was Dale who broke the deadlock in the 25th minute.

Joe Bunney skipped past Ricky Holmes on the left and fired in a low cross. It took a deflection that made it rise, straight into the path of Andrew who headed past goalkeeper Declan Rudd to put Dale ahead.

It was his second goal in a week and almost turned provider nine minutes later for Joe Thompson. He made a powerful run down the right side and found Thompson with a through ball, but he couldn’t connect properly and the danger was eventually scrambled clear.

Dale led at the break and had a number of opportunities in the minutes after the restart to double the lead.

Andrew had a ferocious effort palmed wide, before Davies headed a Rafferty cross straight at Rudd and Andrew fired wide after working himself into space.

Then came a golden chance for the home side to equalise in the 48th minute, when Bunney fouled Ricky Holmes inside the area. Jackson stepped up but was denied by Lillis to his left, with the Dale stopper reacting superbly to deny the follow up from Magennis. 

It was a superb double save much to the delight of the 415 travelling supporters at the opposite end of the ground.

Lookman and Holmes were the two danger men for Charlton, with the former having a cross blocked by Lillis and a free-kick curling over the bar.

Jamie Allen picked up an injury shortly before the hour mark and had to be replaced by Donal McDermott, with Thompson moving to a central position.

Dale were working tirelessly to remain in front against the pressure from the home side that was steadily building as the game entered the final ten minutes.

Lillis was forced into another exceptional save low to his right, when the ball fell to the unmarked Fox who struck from 12 yards.

Lookman had a dipping effort turned over for a corner, before Lillis was equal to a low effort from Jordan Botaka.

Davies was replaced by Sanmi Odelusi with six minutes remaining, before Keith Keane made another vital interception as he cleared Lee Novak effort off the line.

Harrison McGahey replaced Thompson as four minutes of added time were shown by the fourth official.

It was backs to the wall as Dale had to deal with the aerial threat from the home side, but the defending was superb and resolute to hold on for a 1-0 victory, and a fourth successive victory.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match