Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Oldham Athletic 2-3 Rochdale: Report

19 March 2016

Ten man Dale recorded a memorable 3-2 win over local rivals Oldham Athletic in Keith Hill’s 400th game in charge of the club after coming from behind at Boundary Park.

The victory puts Rochdale just four points off the play-off spots. 
His side fell behind just before the half hour mark after Aaron Amadi-Holloway’s placed finish, but Ian Henderson levelled from the penalty spot after Callum Camps was brought down in the area.
Henderson then saw red for a second yellow card on the stroke of half-time, reducing Dale to ten men for the whole of the second half.
However, Dale rallied and took the lead four minutes into the second half thanks to an own goal from Anthony Gerrard, before Camps scored a wonder goal to put Dale 3-1 up.
Amadi-Holloway equalled Camps’ effort with a stunning volley to claw one back for the home side, but Dale held on for a third successive victory, the first time they have managed that feat this season.
Keith Hill made one change from last Saturday’s 3-0 win over Bury, with Callum Camps replacing Matthew Lund. Jonathan Diba-Musangu, Oliver Lancashire, Andy Cannon, Grant Holt and David Syers all returned to the bench.
Dale made a promising start in the first five minutes, but it was the home side who had the first couple of chances. Amadi-Holloway sent a header straight at Josh Lillis, before Liam Kelly sent a shot from 25 yards well wide.
Donal McDermott displayed a lovely turn 25 yards from goal before letting a shot go. Unfortunately for the Irishman his powerful effort was off target.
Mike Jones sent an effort over Lillis’ crossbar with almost 20 minutes played, before the Dale stopper made a fantastic save to deny the home side taking the lead. Curtis Main knocked the ball down to Amadi-Holloway whose effort was turned away by Lillis at full stretch to his left.
However, in the 29th minute Lillis was beaten and it was the same combination that struck. A ball from the left into Main was laid off to Amadi-Holloway on the edge of the area, and the striker calmly placed the ball into the bottom corner.
It was Oldham who edged the first half in the lead up to the goal, but it only took Dale eight minutes to level the scores. Camps received a pass just inside the area and his touch took it away from Timothee Dieng who brought down the Dale man.
Henderson stepped up and although the goalkeeper went the right way, the penalty was out of his reach.
It was a good response from Dale and great timing just eight minutes before the break. Lillis was called into action almost immediately though, again denying Amad-Holloway after he met Matt Palmer’s cross.
Then on the stroke of half-time came a moment that threatened Dale’s chances of coming away with all three points. Henderson, having already been booked for a tussle with Kelly, went sliding into a challenge on Main and brought the Oldham man down. Referee Mr P Tierney had no hesitation in showing a second yellow card to the Dale skipper and they would have to play the second half with ten men.
However, it was not a hindrance at all and within four minutes of the restart Dale had taken the lead. McDermott’s corner was whipped in with pace and Gerrard could only direct the ball into the back of his own net.
It was a brilliant moment in front of the 1,242 travelling Dale fans, and their delight turned to ecstasy six minutes later as Dale doubled their lead. Camps picked up the ball inside the Oldham half and space opened up ahead of him. He drove into it and unleashed a pile driver which cannoned in off the underside of the crossbar.
It was a fantastic strike of which Camps has already shown he is capable of this season, and he punished the Oldham defenders for backing off him to give his side a two goal cushion.
The Dale fans were in fine voice at the Chaddy End of the ground as they were watching their side comfortably keep the home side at bay. However, Latics were given a lifeline with just under 20 minutes to go thanks to spectacular effort from Amadi-Holloway.
The striker vollied an effort from 25 yards which dipped over Lillis, giving the Dale stopper no chance. It roused the home fans who felt their side could go on and get an equaliser against the ten men of Dale.
However, they never really troubled Lillis despite throwing a lot of men forward. Tareiq Holmes-Dennis sent a diving header wide in one of their only efforts on goal.
Peter Vincenti and Grant Holt came on for McDermott and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing to help Dale see the game out.
Camps sent an effort into the side netting with ten minutes remaining, before he was replaced by Andy Cannon in the latter stages.
Gerrard almost made amends for his own goal in the dying minutes with a long range effort which flew inches wide, but that was as close as the came and even five minutes of added time didn’t produce another goal, as the Dale defence held firm for a memorable victory.

Advertisement block