Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FC United 0-3 Rochdale: Report

30 July 2016

Dale were 3-0 winners over FC United in their final game of pre-season.

Sanmi Odelusi opened the scoring with a header at the back post, before Scott Tanser made it two with a volley from outside the area. Second half substitute Andy Cannon completed the scoring with his first touch from close range.

Dale controlled the opening stages on their first visit to Broadhurst Park, with Andrew having the first shot on target of the game after five minutes. He controlled the ball well on his chest and opened space on his left foot, forcing the goalkeeper into a save low to his right.

The goalkeeper was beaten four minutes later though, through Odelusi. Camps crossed from the right to the back post, where the on loan forward stooped to nod his header into the back of the net.

The home side’s first chance came with a header of their own, when Jason Gilchrist guided Dale Tonge’s cross wide of the near post.

Odelusi had another chance with his head after Rafferty’s cross found him at the far post, but he couldn’t connect properly and the ball came off his shoulder and out for a goal kick.

FC United’s lone striker Gilchrist had his side’s first shot on target on the half hour mark. He linked up well with Nathan Lowe before forcing Dieng into a save to his right.

A minute later and Dale doubled their advantage through Tanser. Camps’ shot deflected off an FC United man and came down into the path of Tanser, whose volley took a bounce over goalkeeper Ashley Firth for Dale’s second.

Odelusi and the impressive first year scholar Morley had efforts from range, with the latter’s rising just over the crossbar.

Andrew then nodded Tanser’s left wing cross wide at the far post as Dale pushed on looking for another before half-time.

There were no changes for Dale at the break, but five for the home side. However, it was one of those who started the game for the hosts that tested Dieng in the opening minutes of the half.

The Dale goalkeeper had given away a free kick on the right channel, which Jerome Wright whipped in to the near post to try and catch Dieng off guard. However, he was alert enough to dive to his left and palm the effort away.

FC United’s substitute goalkeeper Dylan Forth had to be alive at the other end as he saved efforts from Andrew and Rathbone.

Odelusi was the next to get in on goal on the hour mark, after controlling the ball on his chest and sending a volley from close range over the crossbar.

Keith Hill’s first changes were to introduce Jamie Allen and Andy Cannon in place of Odelusi and Andrew. The pair went straight up front and Cannon scored with his first touch to make it 3-0. Camps’ fizzing free-kick was saved but only into the path of Cannon, who slammed home from close range.

McNulty and McGahey were replaced by River Humphries and Andy Hollins with 20 minutes of the match remaining. 
Cannon could have had a second when Rafferty’s powerful run down the right saw him cross to the near post, but the substitute could only turn it the wrong side of the post.

Dale Johnson and Jake Williams had efforts over the bar for the home side, whilst Camps sent an effort wide from close range for Dale, after Luke Ashworth had chested straight into his path.

The closing minutes provided no further goalscoring opportunities, as Dale rounded off pre-season with a victory.

DALE XI: Dieng, Rafferty, McGahey, McNulty, Tanser, BBM, Morley, Camps, Rathbone, Andrew, Odelusi. Subs: Diba, Cannon, McDermott, Henderson, Bunney, NML, Humphreys, Hollins, Allen.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match