Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rochdale 2-1 Scunthorpe United: Report

19 September 2015

A late Peter Vincenti goal sealed three points for Dale in a 2-1 victory over Scunthorpe United at Spotland.

The game sprung to life after the break, when substitute Joe Bunney fired Dale ahead midway through the half.
Murray Wallace equalised with under fifteen minutes to go from a corner, before Vincenti finished at the back post to take home the spoils.
Keith Hill made two changes from the side that lost at Burton Albion last Saturday. Andy Cannon returned from injury to replace Joe Rafferty at right back, whilst Reuben Noble-Lazarus came in for Calvin Andrew.
The first chance of the game came inside the opening minute, and fell to the visitors. Oliver Lancashire failed to deal with a long ball forward, which Tom Hopper seized upon. However, his shot was straight at Josh Lillis.
The first half was a scrappy and disjointed affair, as neither side were able to build momentum. Dale were seeing most of the ball but the passing in the final third was sloppy, meaning chances were hard to come by.
It was Scunthorpe who had the best chance of the opening period. Gary McSheffrey’s cross from the left found Paddy Madden at the far post, but his effort flew the wrong side of the post from close range.
Kevin Van Veen was the Iron’s liveliest player, operating in the hole behind Hopper. His free-kick needed to be saved by Lillis, whilst an effort five minutes before the break flew not far wide.
Dale grew into the game as half-time approached, but failed to carve out any clear opportunities before the break.
As the second half began it was again the visitors who had a great chance to take the lead. McSheffrey’s cross was flicked on by Van Veen to Madden at the back post, whose half volley on the slide cannoned back off the underside of the crossbar.
Keith Hill’s side were struggling to get their game going, and the Dale boss tried to change that by bringing on Andrew for Donal McDermott and Joe Bunney for Noble-Lazarus.
Dale seemed much more composed following their introduction and gradually got the better of their opponents. Andrew headed over from Tom Kennedy’s left wing cross, before Dale took the lead through fellow substitute Bunney.
Cannon played the ball inside after a run down the right, and with time and space to set himself, Bunney struck a sweet left foot shot past Luke Daniels from the edge of the area.
The goal spurred Dale on and Ian Henderson came close to getting on the end of Peter Vincenti’s knock down.
Cannon was forced off injured with under twenty minutes to go after trying to play on following a knock. Rafferty came on to replace him at right-back.
Shortly after that change came an equaliser for the visitors from centre-back Murray Wallace. McSheffrey’s corner was a dangerous one, and Wallace rose highest to nod it home from the centre of the goal.

It was a blow for Dale who had been the better side since the earlier substitutions, and the game was in the balance for either team to go on and take all three points.
And a goal from Vincenti five minutes from time meant it was Dale who made the three points theirs. Kennedy’s cross from the left missed everyone but Vincenti at the back post, who tapped in to put Dale back in front.
Keith Hill’s men had to keep Scunthorpe at bay for a massive six minutes of stoppage time, but they did so comfortably to seal a 2-1 victory for a fourth win of the season.

Dale: Lillis, Cannon, Lancashire, McNulty, Kennedy, Allen, Noble-Lazarus, Lund, McDermott, Vincenti, Henderson.
Subs: Diba, Rafferty, Andrew, Alessandra, Rose, Camps, Bunney.

Scunthorpe: Daniels, Laird, Madden, Van Veen, Bishop, King, Hopper, Wallace, Ness, McSheffrey, Clarke.
Subs: Anyon, Wiseman, McAllister, Syers, Henderson, Adelakun, Goode.

Attendance: 2,958.

Advertisement block