Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Rochdale 0-0 Oldham Athletic: Report

24 October 2015

Rochdale secured a point from Saturday's derby against Oldham Athletic as they drew their third successive game.

Dale came closest when Ian Henderson had a header tipped onto the post in the first half, whilst Nathaniel Mendez-Laing had a one-on-one effort saved in the second in a game of few chances.

Keith Hill made two changes from the 0-0 draw with Coventry in midweek. Peter Vincenti returned from injury and Lewis Alessandra came in to face his former club. Calvin Andrew and Donal McDermott dropped to the bench.

There was a typical derby day atmosphere before kick-off, but the game struggled get going inside the first fifteen minutes as both sides struggled to get a foothold.

The first chance of the game came in the 17th minute and it fell to Alessandra. Matthew Lund’s defence splitting pass found Andy Cannon, who squared for the former Oldham man. However, he slipped at the crucial moment and sent his effort well over.

The match remained an even affair with neither side giving an inch. The visitors only really troubled Dale from a number of set-pieces midway through the first period. Brian Wilson sent an effort well wide when he looked offside, before front man Michael Higdon crept in at the back post but couldn’t get enough on the ball in to send his effort on target.

James Wilson headed just wide from a Mike Jones free-kick with the visitor’s best chance, before namesake Brian sent a curling effort over the bar.

The best chance of the half fell to Dale through Ian Henderson, fresh off signing a two year extension to his contract. He met a Jamie Allen corner with his head, which was tipped onto the post by Latics goalkeeper David Cornell before being cleared.

Neither side could claim to deserve the lead at the break, but Keith Hill’s men created the best chances of the opening period.
The visitors edged the opening periods of a stop-start second half which couldn’t gain any momentum, prompting a double substitution for Dale. Andrew and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing came on for Alessandra and Vincenti.

Proceedings evened out and Dale created the first chance of the half, with Allen finding Cannon on the right, but the full back sent his shot over the bar.

Allen was the heart of another Dale move seven minutes later when he found Mendez-Laing, but the substitute’s shot was well saved by Cornell. That would be Allen’s last involvement as McDermott came on to replace him.

The game was never allowed to flow with the referee blowing for every niggle, which affected the rhythm of both sides. Carl Winchester, Cameron Dummigan and Mark Yeates had long range efforts well over for the visitors as the clock ticked down towards stoppage time.

Neither side could create anything in the five minutes of time that were added as Dale drew 0-0 for the third time in a week. 

Next up is the long trip to Southend in a week’s time to wrap up the month of October.

Dale: Lillis, Cannon, Lancashire, McNulty, Tanser, Allen, Lund, Camps, Vincenti, Henderson, Alessandra.
Subs: Castro Pereira, Eastham, Andrew, McDermott, Mendez-Laing, Kennedy, Bunney.

Oldham: Cornell, J Wilson, Kelly, Jones, Philliskirk, Winchester, B Wilson, Fulton, Higdon, Lafferty, Dummigan.
Subs: Coleman, Dieng, Croft, Poleon, Yeates, Eckersley, Fuller.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match