Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Scunthorpe United 1-1 Rochdale

28 December 2015

Rochdale ended 2015 with a well-earned point following an entertaining 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park.

Ian Henderson gave Dale the lead in the 22nd minute, before the Iron equalised eleven minutes later. 

Rochdale had the better of the chances in the second half, though, as they went in search of a winner, but the Scunthorpe United Man of the Match, goalkeeper Luke Daniels, was to thank for keeping the score level.

Manager Keith Hill named an unchanged starting eleven for the match, however, there were three changes on bench. 

Jamie Allen and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing returned from injury, taking their place on the substitutes list ahead Tom Kennedy and Brian Barry-Murphy, while Lewis Alessandra replaced James Hooper.

In an entertaining and fast-paced first half, it was end to end at Glanford Park. 

After Dale had won an early corner, Scunthorpe United applied their own early pressure. Joel Castro Pereira kept out Scott Laird with his legs, only for a late offside flag to go up. It was a great save by the 'keeper who wasn't to know about the offside decision until after the effort was struck. 

Shortly after, Dale were forced to defend after a stray pass allowed the Iron in on goal. However, an excellent timely challenge by Olly Lancashire prevented Stephen Dawson from getting his shot away.

In the 18th minute, Peter Vincenti had the best chance of the game so far. Daniels, committed himself to a Donal McDermott corner, only to miss the ball, allowing the Jerseyman a free header at the back-post. Vincenti could only head narrowly wide. 

Four minutes later, Dale took the lead through Ian Henderson.

Hendo was the first to react to an initial weak effort by Camps, sending Daniels the wrong way as he tapped the ball into the back of the net from close range. 

Rochdale were on top after the goal – Daniels dealt with two inviting balls into the six yard box, while Vincenti had a powerful effort from distance charged down on the edge of the area.

So when the Iron equalised in the 33rd minute, it was a blow for Keith Hill’s side, who had so far been excellent. Laird’s free-kick was sent long into the area from the centre-circle, and after being flicked on, it was met by the head of David Mirfin, who headed across Castro Pereira and into the corner of the net. 

Three minutes after the equaliser, Castro Pereira pulled off an excellent save, pushing a Paddy Madden header over the bar. 

But it was Dale who had the best of the opportunities before the half was out.

In the 42nd minute, McDermott’s dangerous ball across the face of goal was met by Hendo, who mis-hit his shot wide of the target. In the end, a late offside flag went up. 

And in stoppage time Andrew had a header from a corner ball kept out on the line by Daniels.


Three minutes into the half there was a lengthy stoppage in play after what looked like a head knock to Andrew.

With the call for a stretcher, it perhaps looked worse than it was, and thankfully Andrew was able to continue after the once over from the Dale medical team. 

Dale then came closest to regaining the lead, only to be kept out by an excellent save.

McDermott’s free-kick looked certain for the back of the net but the outstretching Daniels somehow got a hand to the set-piece, turning it round the post for a corner. And there were big shouts for a penalty as Vincenti went to ground as Dale’s second consecutive corner was sent into the area, but the referee wasn’t interested. 

Rochdale’s first substitution of the game soon followed as Nathaniel Mendez-Laing replaced McDermott in the 68th minute. 

And Mendez-Laing had a chance five minutes after being introduced. 

He did brilliantly to win the ball back just outside the area after the Iron had initially defended well, but he could only hit wide of the target at the near post. 

Andrew then twice came close. 

He firstly sent a dipping free-kick narrowly wide of the upright, before striking an effort from 20-yards over the bar after he latched onto the ball following a mix-up between the Iron goalkeeper and his defender. 

Dale were on top but survived a scare in the 80th minute when Darius Henderson guided an effort onto the base of the post. 

With a minute of normal time remaining, Andy Cannon cut inside before rifling an effort goal-wards, which was kept out by an excellent save from Daniels.

In six minutes of stoppage time, the Iron had a succession of corners which were defended by the resolute Rochdale.

It finished Scunthorpe United 1-1 Rochdale.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match