Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury 2-1 Rochdale: Lancashire Senior Cup

12 August 2015

A late goal from Bury’s Khalid Mohamed saw Bury come from behind to emerge victorious from Wednesday night’s Lancashire Senior Cup final at the LFA County Ground. 
Lewis Alessandra had given Dale the lead on the stroke half time, but the Shakers levelled nine minutes after the interval.
The tie looked destined to be heading for a penalty shoot out, but Mohamed’s goal, three minutes from time, ensured the game was concluded in 90 minutes. 
A strong Rochdale started against the Shakers. Johny Diba was in net, while Ashley Eastham, Kisimba Kisimba and Brian Barry-Murphy lined up as a back three. Japhet Mata and Scott Tanser were named as wing backs. Rhys Bennett, who made a welcome return after recovering from a broken arm, was joined in midfield alongside Billy Hasler-Cregg and James Hooper. Lewis Alessandra and Nyal Bell were upfront. 
The first half chance of the night fell to Dale seven minutes into the match as Bell and Hooper applied pressure on Rob Lainton following a slow back pass. The pair pressed, forcing the ‘keeper into a hasty clearance. 
In the 19th minute, Bury had their best chance of the half after Rose was fed through on goal with an excellent pass. Johny Diba slipped, leaving the net almost unguarded, but the Shakers forward could only fire over the bar. 
Bury had been on top for a spell, without causing too many problems, but as the half progressed, Dale grew into the game and finished the half on top and had a couple of excellent chances before netting shortly before half time. 
Shortly before the half hour mark, Hooper was sent through on goal by Alessandra. The young Dale forward only had the goalkeeper to beat, but he dragged his effort wide of the upright. 
With 38 minutes on the clock Dale were denied on the line. Eastham won a flick on at the back post from a corner, sending it into the path of Bennett, who struck from close range. His shot was smashed away.
And in the dying seconds of the half Dale took the lead. After getting on the end of a flick on from Bell, Alessandra lobbed the ‘keeper from just inside the 18-yard box.
Dale started the half the better of the two sides, but despite much probing, they were unable to force Lainton into a save.
And it was during the spell on top that the Shakers levelled the scoring. 
Matty Foulds picked the ball up on the left hand flank and travelled to the edge of the area before sending an effort across goal. Diba was unable to keep out the drive as it skipped over him and nestled in the bottom corner of the net. 
As the half continued, both teams cancelled each other out. There was plenty of pressing from the two sides, but little in the way of clear cut opportunities. 
Ten minutes before the end Bury had the best chance of the half since their equaliser after Shaw was played through on goal by Rose. He miss kicked his effort, however, sending it high over the bar. 
The game looked destined for spot kicks, but Bury ensured the tie would be won in 90 minutes as substitute Khalid Mohamed headed home from a Scott Burgess cross with three minutes of the match remaining. 
It finished Bury 2, Rochdale 1.

Dale XI: Diba, Mata, Eastham, Kisimba, BBM, Tanser, Bennett, Hasler-Cregg, Hooper, Bell, Alessandra

Bury XI Lainton, Poscha, Brown, Foulds, Gibson, Burgess, Bourne, Sedgwick, Mellis, Shaw, Rose 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match