Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Bury 0-0 Rochdale

7 March 2014

A spirited performance from ten man Rochdale saw the side secure a well-earned point against local rivals Bury on Friday night.

The entertaining encounter finished goal-less, despite both sides having opportunities, with goalkeeper Josh Lillis rightly being awarded the Sky Sports' Man of the Match following his outstanding performance.

Manager Keith Hill named an unchanged squad for the fixture, with the eleven who started in Saturday’s win over Oxford United retaining their places in the starting lining up for the game at the JD Stadium.

Bury had the first opportunity of the match as a free-kick, which had been blocked by Lillis, fell to Clive Platt at the near post. He managed to get a shot away, but was kept out by Josh Lillis, who turned the effort round the post.

Two minutes later at the other end, Jamie Allen tested Brian Jensen with a curling effort, after getting on the end of a Joe Rafferty cross into the box, following a surge forward from Dale. Allen did well to find space to get his shot away, but in the end it was comfortable save for the ‘keeper.

And in the 10th minute Ian Henderson could only head over from an unmarked position.

Seven minutes later, Manager Keith Hill was forced to make his first substitution of the match after Scott Hogan was unable to shake off a knee injury, which he sustained earlier in the game.

The Sky Bet League Two Player of the Month for February was replaced by George Donnelly.

Immediately after the change, Vincenti did well to lose his marker and drive at goal, before finding Allen, but the youngster hit wide from inside the area.

As the game settled it became a hard fought out encounter, with Dale employing their patient build up play in order to carve an opening, and Bury’s opportunities coming via set pieces, and one notable long range effort.

In the 37th minute, Danny Nardiello fired a shot from distance, which flew narrowly over the bar.

And just moments before the interval Rochdale were a dealt a blow for a second time in the game, as they were reduced to ten men. Henderson was sent off after receiving a harsh second yellow card for a foul on Jake Carroll.


The home side made two changes at the interval as Lewis Young and Tom Soares replaced Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro and Danny Mayor, respectively.

The second half was much livelier affair, and both sides had opportunities during the opening exchanges after the interval.  In the 48th minute Bury's Pablo Mills was denied by the cross bar, after getting on the end of a free-kick, while Michael Rose had Dale’s first chance of the half, also from a set piece.

Rose curled his free-kick, which had been awarded around 22 yards from goal, round the wall, but could only watch on as the effort went for narrowly wide of the upright.

A Dale substitution followed on the hour mark as George Porter was handed his Rochdale debut, replacing Allen.

The game roared into life shortly after the change and despite being down to ten men, and losing top goal-scorer Scott Hogan early in the first half, Rochdale were more than matching their opponents

In the 65th minute Captain Peter Cavanagh fired a powerful effort from 30 yards just past the upright, before Lillis pulled off an important save to deny Soares with his feet three minutes later.

Moments later, Jensen kept out a snap shot from Done, as he got two hands behind the effort from the full-back to send it behind.

Dale had Lillis to thank once more for keeping Bury at bay as he pulled off a point blank save to deny Nardiello from close range in the 86th minute.

Deep in stoppage time Lillis was on hand again to deny the Shakers as he tipped a Mills header over the bar.

It finished Bury 0, Rochdale 0. 

Advertisement block