Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury 3-3 Rochdale: Report

2 August 2014

A late fightback saw Dale come from 3-1 down to draw 3-3 in the final pre-season friendly against Bury.

Ashley Eastham scored an own goal inside the first minute, before Rhys Bennett equalised just eight minutes later.

Daniel Nardiello put Bury back ahead seven minutes before the break, before Ryan Lowe made it three a minute before half-time.

Substitute Joel Logan headed a goal back for Dale midway through the second half, before he equalised in the final minute of normal time.

Dale got off to the worst possible start when they conceded inside the first minute, courtesy of an own goal. Ryan Lowe crossed from the right and Eastham inadvertently turned the ball into his own net at the near post.

It was a setback for Dale but one they quickly recovered from. Bennett, playing on the right of midfield, saw a header from a Rose free kick fly just wide of the far post, before he put Dale back on level terms.

Rose sent a low ball across the area, between the goalkeeper and his defence, which allowed Bennett to steal in at the back post and stab home an equaliser.

Bennett was at the heart of things again three minutes later, when he found space and ran at the Bury defence before playing a great ball into George Donnelly, whose shot was saved by the legs of Shwan Jalal.

Dale were certainly having the better of the game following the equaliser, and had another chance to go 2-1 up through Jamie Allen. A cross from Joe Rafferty on the right was chested down by Peter Vincenti into the path of Allen, but the midfielder’s left footed half-volley flew over the crossbar.

Both sides were looking to play possession football as the heavens opened over the JD Stadium, but after an early flurry of chances the game slowed. Donnelly had a half chance with a header, but with the angle of the cross it was a difficult one, and the ball looped into the arms of Jalal.

It took until seven minutes before half time for the next proper chance to be carved out, and it was the home side who profited as they regained the lead. Nardiello received the ball into his feet, turned his defender and slotted a right foot shot low past Johny Diba.

And just a minute before half time Bury doubled their lead through Lowe. Nardiello was involved again, finding his strike partner in the area from the left, and Lowe took a touch before firing past Diba to ensure a 3-1 lead at the break.

Keith Hill made two changes at the interval. Brian Barry-Murphy came on for Sean McGinty, whilst Donnelly was replaced by trialist Adam Morgan.

The home side had the better chances in the opening fifteen minutes, and Diba had to be alert twice to keep out former Dale man Nicky Adams. Nardiello played a cute ball through to Adams, and Diba did well to race off his line and block the shot out for a corner. Diba then turned away a Lowe free-kick from the edge of the area.

Midway through the half Dale made three changes. On came Billy Hasler-Cregg, Andy Cannon and Joel Logan, replacing Allen, Bennett and Bastien Hery.

The three young substitutes made an instant impact as Dale halved the deficit after a good spell of pressure. The spell led to a corner which Rose took. He found Logan who looped a header back across goal and into the net, despite the best efforts of a Bury defender on the line.

It set the game up for an interesting last 20 minutes, as Dale searched for an equaliser. Trialist David Fox was replaced by first year scholar Kisimba Kisimba in midfield.

The other trialist in the squad Morgan had a shot from the edge of the area which was comfortably saved, before he did put the ball in the back of the net, but was adjudged to be offside by the linesman.

Rafferty tried a cheeky attempt to lob the keeper from distance after spotting him off his line, but the effort was overhit and sailed over the crossbar.

Dale’s pressure eventually told in the 90th minute, and it was Logan again who got the goal. A Rose free-kick was well saved by Jalal, but only into the path of Logan, who took a touch to get it out of his feet before firing past the Bury goalkeeper.

It would prove to be the last action of an eventful friendly match, with the honours even. Dale have a week ahead of them now before the season gets going, as Peterborough visit Spotland on Saturday.


Attendance: 1,277 (405 Dale fans)


Advertisement block