Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Rochdale 1-2 AFC Wimbledon

2 November 2013

Rochdale fell to their first defeat at Spotland since February on Saturday as the side went down 2-1 at home to AFC Wimbledon.

Jamie Allen gave Dale a half time lead with a 34th minute goal, while the visitors levelled against the run of play ten minutes after the interval through Sammy Moore. Andy Frampton netted late in the game to secure three points for AFC Wimbledon in a game which will be remembered for the electrical storm overhead.

The game had to be halted for 25 minutes after the floodlights were struck by lightning, plunging Spotland into darkness.

There were two changes to the eleven who lined up against Dagenham and Redbridge last week. Graham Cummins replaced the injured George Donnelly, while Matty Done started ahead of Peter Vincenti, who dropped to the bench.

Both teams enjoyed plenty of action in the final third during the opening exchanges, without creating any clear cut chances, in what was a hard fought out encounter on what started out to be a very windy afternoon at Spotland.

With a quarter of an hour played Matty Lund had the first real opportunity of the match as he sent AFC Wimbledon ‘keeper Ross Worner scrambling across the face of goal with an effort from 20 yards. The strike from distance went narrowly past the upright.

The chance signalled the turning point in the match and Rochdale went on to take full control of the game.

Dale were turning the screw through some attractive and patient build up play and on the half hour mark had an appeal for a penalty turned down.Done had got himself to the by-line and appeared to be tripped inside the area, but despite appeals for a spot kick, Done was shown a yellow card for simulation.

Two minutes after the penalty shout and Gary Dicker tested Worner as he sent a low drive in on goal. The ‘keeper was quick to react to smother the effort.

Dale were dominating and they got the opener they deserved on 34 minutes through Jamie Allen, who netted his first professional goal. Lund had sent a glancing header back across the face of goal after getting on the end of a Michael Rose cross, and Allen was there to slam the ball into the back if the net.

GOAL: ROCHDALE 1-0 AFC Wimbledon (Allen, 34)

Dale continued on top, applying all the pressure, and with 45 minutes played Ian Henderson came close to adding a second for the home side as he got on the end of a cross to the back post from Done. His header, which looked to have taken a deflection, went narrowly over the bar.

 HT: Rochdale 1-0 AFC Wimbledon

There were no changes at the interval for Dale as Manager Keith Hill stayed as was for the start of the start of the second half.

Rochdale started the half in a high tempo fashion and within three minutes of the re-start Henderson attempted to lift the ball up and over Worner, after being played through a bursting move forward from Allen. His effort dipped over the bar.

Dale continued to pepper the AFC Wimbledon goal and after yet another fantastic footballing move forward, Rafferty sent a ball in from the right hand side for the awaiting Graham Cummins, whose header was deflected wide.

But it was on 54 minutes that the visitors netted an equaliser against the run of play, after a wrong decision, which should have seen Dale granted a thrown in, saw AFC Wimbledon continue on the attack and awarded a set piece 20 yards from goal.

Callum Kennedy floated in a free kick, which was fired into the net on the half volley by Sammy Moore from the edge of the area.

GOAL: Rochdale 1-1 AFC WIMBLEDON (Moore, 54 minutes)

The goal gave the visitors a new lease of energy and five minutes later Harry Pell curled an effort narrowly round the upright.

Although the scores were level, it was the electrical thunderstorm over head which was catching the attention of everyone inside Spotland, and it was in the 75th minute of the match that game was brought to a halt after the floodlights were struck by lightning.

With Spotland plunged into darkness the players were led off the pitch while staff behind the scenes worked frantically to re-start the floodlights to allow the game to continue. After a 25 minute stoppage the match resumed with three out of the four floodlights back in working order.

The break in play didn’t have any adverse effect on Dale, and they came out asking all the questions.

Rochdale were turning the screw and four minutes after the re-start Henderson forced Worner into a two handed saved to send his effort from an acute angle round the post, before Lund sent a header from less than six yards up and over the bar.

And Dale were left to rue the missed opportunities in front of goal as AF Wimbledon netted in the 84th minute.

Lillis came for an initial effort but spilled it, and despite several attempts to clear the ball, Dale were unable to clear the ball from under their feet and Frampton volleyed the visitors ahead from just inside the area.

GOAL: Rochdale 1-2 AFC WIMBLEDON (Frampton, 84)

After the goal Rochdale threw absolutely everything at the game as they looked to find a goal which would secure at least a point, and on 86 minutes Henderson way again denied by Worner.

They continued to batter the visitors goal but were unable to convert.

It finished Rochdale 1, AFC Wimbledon 2. 

Advertisement block