Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: York 0-0 Dale

30 November 2013

Rochdale earned a hard fought point at York City’s Bootham Crescent on Saturday afternoon, in a match which ended in stalemate.

Both teams had opportunities to break the dead-lock, but failed to convert in the 0-0 draw.

As expected, there were two changes for Rochdale as Olly Lancashire and Jack O’Connell missed out through suspension. Joe Rafferty returned from injury for the match, while Matty Done was also handed a start.

The Minstermen started the game in an high tempo fashion and threatened the Dale goal within sixty seconds of the first whistle after Ryan Jarvis got on the end of a ball in the box. It was a quick move forward from the home side, but the York number eleven could only head into the hands of Josh Lillis.

Five minutes later and Jarvis was involved again as he hit narrowly past the upright from six yards, following a dangerous cross to the near post from Ashley Chambers.

Dale weathered the early pressure and had opportunities of their own, with Graham Cummins and Andrew Tutte both failing to find the target.

After a lively start to the match, the early tempo faded as the match became a very tight affair. York shaded it as they enjoyed plenty of the ball, but they failed to create any clear cut opportunities in the as a resolute Dale soaked up the pressure from the Minstermen.

Opportunities were also at a premium for Dale and the most notable effort of the half for Rochdale came from Andrew Tutte fired as he fired a low angled drive into the hands of ‘keeper Aaron McCarey on the stroke of half time.


There were no changes at the interval as Manager Keith Hill stayed as was for the start of the second half.

York City approached the start of the half in a similar manner as they had the first 45 minutes, and two minutes after the re-start they had an appeal for a penalty turned down.

There appeared to be some pushing going on between Rose and Jarvis, before the striker went to ground inside the area. There was no hesitation from the referee as he quickly waved away the claims.

With 52 minutes played York were in on goal again as Rose mis-controlled a pass from Ian Henderson, allowing Jarvis the opportunity to get the by-line before sending the ball into the box. Bennett managed to clear the ball, but only as far as Josh Carson who had made himself available. Fortunately for Dale the ball bounced off Carson and out for a goal-kick.

A short spell of pressure from Rochdale followed, but to no avail as York this time remained resolute.

Both sides had opportunities to break the dead-lock, but were unable to truly test either ‘keeper.

minute York’s Carson tried his luck from long range, but despite the effort bouncing awkwardly into front of Lillis, the ‘keeper did well to make the save.rdIn the 63

Five minutes later a flick on from Hogan opened up space for Henderson, who sent a rising shot over the bar.

Straight up the other end and the Minstermen had two chances in quick succession – Rose first of all blocked an effort from Luke O’Neill, before he sent his follow up effort over the bar.

Manager Keith Hill made his first substitution of the match on 70 minutes as Gary Dicker replaced Andrew Tutte.

And the middle man almost had an immediate effect as he fed a delightful ball through for Hogan within two minutes of taking to the field of play. Hogan was unable to get enough power behind his final effort and in the end it was comfortable save for McCarey.

York gave the home fans plenty to shout about during a sustained spell of pressure and Dale had Lillis and Bennett to thank for keeping the Minstermen out.

minute Lillis denied Jarvis with his legs, before Bennett cleared an effort from O’Neill just yards from the goal-line.thIn the 79

It was an entertaining end to the match and both teams had opportunities to break the dead-lock.

Lee Molyneux was Dale’s second substitute of the day as he replaced Done, and similarly to the initial impact made by Dicker, Molyneux too got involved shortly after coming on.

In a well worked Dale move, Lund picked out Henderson, who in turn found Molyneux. He sent the ball back out to Henderson on the edge of the area, who curled an effort round the post.

Five minutes later Hogan sent a shot narrowly past the upright.

In stoppage time Lillis blocked an effort from Michael Coulson, before Jarvis fluffed a deflected header wide.

It finished York City 0, Rochdale 0.  

Advertisement block