Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Plymouth 3-1 Rochdale

20 October 2012

Rochdale fell to their first defeat on the road in five matches on Saturday after going down 3-1 against Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

Plymouth stunned Dale with two goals inside seven minutes, the first of which came from the penalty spot, before Andres Gurrieri netted from open play.

Dele Adebola gave Dale a lifeline on 76 minutes, but Madjo netted his second from the spot deep in stoppage time to seal the three points for the Pilgrims.

There were two changes to the team that lined-up against Morecambe last Saturday. Bobby Grant returned from suspension to take his place in the front line ahead of George Donnelly who dropped to the bench. Jason Kennedy was also given the nod, which saw Joe Rafferty named amongst the substitutes.

The home side started brightly and looked threatening from the first whistle, and took the lead with just three minutes on the clock after the referee adjudged that the ball hand been handled inside the box.

Guy Madjo stepped up to take the resulting spot kick and fired home past goalkeeper Josh Lillis to take an early lead at Home Park.

Plymouth continued to pressurise and the pacey Alex MacDonald showed how much a handful he can be as be ran at the Dale defence before attempting to send a shot in on goal. A fantastic clearance from Rhys Bennett stopped the frontman in his tracks.

And with the Pilgrims looking dangerous, it didn’t take them long to net their second of the afternoon, this time from open play. On seven minutes Andres Gurrieri headed home from close range to double the home side’s advantage.

Rochdale had a mountain to climb if they were to recover from the early set back, and Ashley Grimes came within inches of doing just that just two minutes after Gurrieri’s goal. His long range shot landed in the upper netting.

It was Plymouth who continued to threaten going forward and they were denied only by the quick reaction of Lillis on 17 minutes after Madjo was allowed a free header at the back post. Gurrieri sent in the menacing cross for the experienced frontman who had been left unmarked, he got the header away but was kept out by Lillis who palmed the ball out of play.

Dale’s first real move of the game soon followed as Dele Adebola and Ashley Grimes linked up well to play in Kevin McIntyre who had made the run forward into the eighteen yard box. He was however unable to make a connection with the ball before it was cleared away by ‘keeper Jake Cole.

Up the other end and Lillis was on hand once again to keep out Plymouth after MacDonald’s shot took a deflection as it made its way towards goal from the just inside the 18-yard box. The ‘keeper had to shift at the final moment to parry the ball down before smothering it to stave off the danger.

Moments later and the home side capitalised on a stray ball in the middle of the pitch. Gurrieri, who had ploughed through on goal, could only send his shot straight at Lillis but the goalkeeper spilled the ball back into play allowing Durrell Berry the opportunity of a follow up shot which ended up in the top netting.

As the match approached the interval, Adebola had Dale’s best opportunity of the half but was denied by the woodwork as his looping header caught the outside of the post and out of play.

But it was Plymouth who had the final opportunity of the half as Conor Cowan-Hall broke on the counter attack after pouncing on stray ball from a short free-kick inside the Plymouth half. After charging forward he got his shot away but was kept out by Lillis who got down low to collect.

After the break, it was a much improved performance by Dale and they began to take the game to Plymouth resulting in opportunities being created in the final third, the first of which came from Bobby Grant. His curling effort was however headed clear.

Just minutes later and Rochdale were awarded a penalty for a handball inside the box, but in what was already a frustrating afternoon, it seemed that lady luck was not on the side of Dale as ‘keeper Cole saved Grant’s spot kick with his mid-drift after the striker sent his penalty straight down the middle.

Despite missing the spot kick Dale kept their heads high and continued to press and finally got the goal they deserved.

Shortly before the hour mark an outstretched Adebola was unable to get a foot on the end of low drive across the face of goal from Tutte, and he was denied minutes later after Cole pulled off a fantastic save to keep out the towering frontman’s header.

And the goal finally came for Adebola on 76 minutes as he headed home from close range to give Dale a fighting chance inside the last fifteen minutes of the match.

Rochdale continued on top and looked like the most likely to net, but after Grant sent a free-kick curling wide of the upright as the game approached the final whistle it looked all over for Dale.

Deep inside stoppage time Plymouth were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon after the referee adjudged Scott Griffiths had been felled inside the area. Madjo who had netted from the spot in the first half, fired home to ensure three points for the Pilgrims.

It finished Plymouth Arygle 3, Rochdale 1.


Advertisement block